Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

Great to hear that from y'all. The way Rick talked if it isn't prestigious, replace it. But I could have been misinterpreting for sure. Definitely bearing need replaced and the synchronizer was already on the list. I tore down the transfer case today too and it looks way better. Even the bearings look to be in good shape. I am still gonna replace all the seals and gaskets though. Hopefully a good cleaning and this will all be good to go. I will keep y'all posted. TJones, yeah if I was going for records I would have just replaced the whole thing...lol

20220204_163751.jpg20220204_163747.jpg20220204_163742.jpg

3CE16E27-2E45-412F-B79D-A6AF9060144B.jpg90904705-255A-456A-82FB-1865576C4B1D.jpg

You are right there the transfer case doesn’t look as bad as the tranny Joey!!!
    Once you get it all apart you think to yourself WTF did I get myself into, but it’s not nearly as bad as it looks

TJones, yeah I had that exact feeling. I have a bunch of pieces in the garage and I am sure the Mrs. is wondering when it will get put back together...lol I still have some cleaning to do, but only because I am so meticulous about it. I got my parts in and I should have some free time this weekend to get it put back together. I will shoot y'all the finished product. Thanks for all of the words of advise and encouragement.

Seriously it isn't as bad as it looks, Rick does a pretty good job walking you through the re-assembly of both.
    Bmorgil did mention in one of his replies about something you really need to pay close attention too (Rick was not actually right on what he said) and I for the life of me cannot remember where it was or what it was about but I am sure Bmorgil will check in later and remind us all on what it was, that's why they call him Dr. Dana on here. I guess after a lifetime of working there and retiring you kinda deserve the respect!!!

TJ you are too kind. There is indeed a correction required on Rick's guide.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...-Stivers-Guide

I didn’t have any trouble taking the T-90 apart. I don’t recall watching any videos (very rare for me due to poor internet service) or reading a manual but, if I did, it would have been the original service manual or the military service manual. I do remember wondering how I was going to reinstall the oil shield. It didn’t just fall out and I didn’t see a path to putting it back. I am still tinkering with the front axle so I don’t know when I will get back to the transmission. When the time comes I will seek help if I need it.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

No problem if you need help Jeff, we will try if we can!

Bmorgil, I have made sure to take a look at that correction you put in the Tech Info for sure. I have also been taking some time looking over most of the stuff you have put up on there. I have also watched Rick's over and again several times to catch anything I might have missed. Lucky me I have TV in the garage and I throw it up there and go step back step, pausing with I need to. I also found another video on disassembly and reassembly of the D18 Transfer Case as well.

TJ, it didn't seem that hard taking mine apart either as soon as I got done with some troublesome nuts and bolts. The inside came apart fairly easily and I am hoping to just take my time and put it back together fairly easy as well.

Love that T.V. in the garage! I do the same thing... pop it up on the T.V. and work to the video.

Transfer case is complete. It cleaned up really nice and I am pretty proud of the finished product. I have to get a new yoke nut cause one of mine was boogered up pretty bad. Other wise it went together fairly easily. After cleaning up the T90 I have decided there are a couple gears I should replace. So I am gonna wait till those come in to compete that. All in all though it cleared up nice too. Here are a few pics and I'll post the transmission when it is complete. 20220220_234734.jpg20220220_234723.jpg20220220_234730.jpg