Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

I am at a loss folks. I removed the carb, did a thorough cleaning, replaced the fuel pump, and even cut out some bad line. It appears I am getting no fuel coming out of the pump. I have an inline filter, just a normal aftermarket WIX like was on it when I got it. So I can see that no fuel is getting to there either. The tank was moved to the rear and has a rubber hose running from there to the pump. I need to do some more inspection of that but right now I just don't know what else it could be.20211107_174014.jpg20211107_174039.jpg

Check any old rubber hoses that may have been sitting with fuel in them. If there was any ethanol in it, I have seen older hoses swell completely shut on the inside.

Bmorgil is correct. If fuel is coming out of the tank then the hose must be plugged somehow. Alcohol will cause rubber to swell and can swell some hoses shut if they are made of the wrong compound. Alcohol blended fuels are not allowed in aircraft for that very reason. I would disconnect both ends of the hose and blow through it or bypass it with another hose to check it. It’s also a good opportunity to make sure the tank outlet isn’t plugged.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Alright guys. I am going to pull that hose this afternoon and check the tank. I will y'all one thing, if the Lord wanted to test me on patience he found the perfect lesson. I will let you know how it goes. Does that look like a Solex remake to y'all or an original. The only markings are a date 4-2016 and P3LEN.

"I have an inline filter, just a normal aftermarket WIX like was on it when I got it."

The filter should be between the pump and the carburetor. Fuel pumps "push" much harder that they "suck" and a filter between the tank and the pump can be a blockage that the pump can't handle.

But - if the filter is between the carb and pump - I'm agreeing with a blocked rubber hose. It may not be blocked if you blow on it, but it may collapse when suction is applied, like a soggy straw in a milkshake.

Or, you may find something totally different that will make you say "Duhhh ". It's an old Jeep and one of its jobs is to keep you puzzled. Good Luck!
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 11-19-2021 at 08:47 AM.

The Solex was never an original on a Willys. On yours it came originally with a Carter. The Solex is a French Manufactured aftermarket replacement carburetor.

"Does that look like a Solex remake to y'all or an original. "

Although Solex carburetors are OK, there are also many, many accounts of Solex carbs that just never work "right" (vs. yours that just isn't getting gas to do anything).

One guy had so much trouble that he finally found that the best solution was to have his buddy throw the Solex as far as he could out the back door of the shop and then promise not to tell him which direction he threw it... (yeah - probably a joke).

Let us know what you find - we really are curious and it will probably help the next guy with a fuel problem. (We've had a lot of fuel line/fuel pump issues this summer and fall..).

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The Solex was never an original on a Willys. On yours it came originally with a Carter. The Solex is a French Manufactured aftermarket replacement carburetor.
    I didn’t know this. Someone told me I would have to change the manifold to install the Carter so I assumed it was luck of the draw from Willys.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Solex made and still has a carburetor like yours that will bolt right on. The flange "base" on those carbs (the Carter and the Solex) dates way back into the 1920's. A lot of that base pattern on all kinds of things from old Fords and Chevy's to Tractors and Generators.

Thanks for info guys. I knew that it would have originally been a Carter, but I have seen several Solex remakes out there. So I wasn't sure if it is actually a Solex or a knock off. I rip that line out and it does not look good. Larrbeard may have hit it in regards to the condition. It's doesn't appear there is a "blockage" but the deterioration is evident even from the outside. I checked the results on that type of tubing and it ain't states that it deteriorates way faster than r9, especially when introduced to alcohol added fuel. So I am gonna head down to the parts store and get some new stuff. The tank seems good cause the fuel cames flowing out as soon as I unhooked it. I would have used the drain plug but the previous owner sealed it off. 20211119_154826.jpg20211119_154814.jpg