Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

Well folks it seems to shift okay right now. I am hoping, however it appears there may be some engineering that I will have to do as well. All part of the fun with these old Jeeps right? I had to take a little break due to work taking me out of the house for 12-14 hours a day. But hopefully I will get some new parts in and get the rear brakes exposed soon. It really seems like maybe something is not right back there instead of a transmission issue. Are these "modifications" something that is relatively normal or do yall think I will be able to do the routine maintenance that has been lacking in order to correct alot of problems?

I think some routine maintenance and a little "freeing" up of parts and it'll come right back.

Alright folks, time to get back at it. I have to have this thing road worthy by August. The fiance thinks she wants to ride in it from the wedding. It has been killing me not being able to work on this thing for the last month or so. Here is where I am, I still need to get those rear brakes exposed so I can see what the damage is going to be. Really seems like something is sticking but I hope it is a simple clean and seal. I have gotten one castle nut off the rear, but the other one has already broken one breaker bar. I am giving this thing all I got. I think I am gonna have to get an impact on it but that is the one thing I don't have at my disposal. After that happens I still have to wait for the hub puller to come in, because apparently that is a tool for these old things that nobody has local. I will keep yall posted and hopefully things can go smoother from here on out.

You are on the right track Joey. The right tools will make life easier. The hub puller is good insurance. With the way that nut is coming off, the drum might be on there solid. You may want to rent a 3/4" drive breaker bar and socket or a 3/4" drive impact. Soak it with penetrating oil. Kroil if you can find it.

Joey, if you have a plumber's torch, (hand held propane or Map gas torch) use it to warm up the hub nut enough for it to get hot. Spray some penetrating oil at the threads while hot then repeat the process. It isn't as effective as an acetylene torch, but will aid the oil in to the threads to help release the bond. If you do not have access to an impact, you can take a hammer and whack the socket while applying pressure with the breaker bar. Maybe the bride to be could help with the beating. Just be careful if the socket isn't an impact socket. Chrome sockets can flake or worse crack when hammering.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Maybe the bride to be could help with the beating.......
    I can't leave that statement alone... but I will.

Along the lines of gm's thinking, there are some powerful heat guns out there for cheap. I think China Freight has some strong ones. It doesn't have to get red hot. The expansion and contraction of the heating and cooling cycles is the trick. If you can get the nut to heat up and grow faster than the stub, it will break the two loose from each other. The lube will get drawn in by capillary action. Use a big 3/4" drive socket.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-23-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I can't leave that statement alone... but I will..
    You thinking it should say, "buy jeep parts to arrive in large boxes unannounced on day of repair to guarantee bride help with ...

Well it didn't take the bride to be doing any beating...although I would imagine there are some days she would like to. I got it off checked those shoes and drums, did some adjusting on them and there we go. My pedal still has a little too much travel but with the fiances help I am going to bleed them again and hopefully that does the trick. I took it for a couple spins around the neighborhood. Talking with the stepdad it sounds like it may be missing a little. So I am gonna start with new wires and a distributer tune up. After that I need to go ahead and get him tagged and I might actually have this thing ready pretty soon. Thanks for all the help. I would still be cussing if not for y'alls advice.

Alright folks, so I know I owe a lot of updates and definitely some pictures. I will get those uploaded tonight. Many things have happened since the last time I posted and Lloyd doesn't look at all the same. Unfortunately, I was not ready to put my new bride in him coming back from the lake where the wedding was held. But, it was a nice talking piece for the guests at the reception. I have been constantly making adjustments and "improvements", which mainly involve changing worn out parts or trying to stop leaks. At the moment I am tackling a fuel distribution problem that I believe is a combination of needing a carburetor rebuild and possibly a new fuel pump. As with most of what I have begun to find on this 2A, neither are stock and I have to do a lot of research just to find the part or rebuild kit that I need. One in particular appears to be that the pump on this 134 is from somewhere between a CJ3 or CJ5 because that is the only comparable pump I have found that even resembles it. At any cost, I am constantly making progress and by the end of it I think, and I mean think that I will have a sold 2A.

Keep at it Joey, we are looking forward to the updates!