Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

Looks like a true worker that's for sure Joey! That Jeep looks ready to go anywhere.

I like it. It is giving me some ideas for my 3A.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Bm, it does pretty good that is for sure. Those oversized tires aren't fun over 30mph, so I think that will be the next big change. I am okay dropping down some as long as I don't get too top heavy.

Jeff, it certainly has some different looks than an all original flat fender but I feel that it is a good mix of old and new.

Situation now is fuel delivery. I have the Solex Carb and that later style Fuel Pump pulled off. I got the rebuild kit from Kaiser for the carb and I believe I will just replace the pump. The numbers on the carb make me think that it is fairly new so I don't want to give up on it just yet. I have also read a lot about proper adjustments on those to make sure they don't run too rich. I am getting to some points where my knowledge is being tested, so I am learning a lot as I go. Are there any nuggets of wisdom as it pertains to the fuel delivery system I might should be aware of? As always, thanks for all the feedback.

The Solex can be a challenge to get right. Make sure the fuel pressure is correct for the carburetor you have.

Bm, I have certainly read plenty of bad comments on the Solex or "Solex Design" carbs. That is something that I will certainly have to figure out exactly how to do. I have also read that some people have installed a regulator in order to get it right. I would like to just get a Carter and move back to the original, but at this point that would still be way more expensive than trying to get this one right.

I need to have a look a how mine is set up on the 3A. When I bought it it would barely run for several reasons, one of which was the carb. I had the local parts store order me a kit for the Solex. Mostly, all I did was blow out the carb with carb cleaner, install the new parts in the kit and adjust it per the book. It ran good for a couple of years until I parked it to do other work. I think it’s the original Solex but don’t know how to tell for sure. Maybe I just got lucky.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Jeff, that is what I am hoping for on this one. It did sit for a little while I believe, but the carb doesn't look too bad on the outside. So hopefully once I get this kit in I can rebuild it and that will fix my problems. Did yours look very dirty at first observation?

Mine was terrible to look at. A kid had been river running with it. Everything was full of sand. Even had a little in the float bowl. Plus it wasn’t on the base gasket right so it had a big air leak there as well. Take care placing it on the base gasket. As I recall, it is pretty easy to miss the gasket on one side.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Gotcha, mine might not look terrible per se but it ain't pretty. I still have to open it up and see what the inside looks like. I have several leaks as well including on the base. So I really need to replace those gaskets. I will certainly heed your word and be careful.