Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

Well folks there you have it. Another instance where a "new" pump was no good. My old pump had a leak that was keeping it from getting enough vacuum. I replaced with the "new" one, but that one was even worse off. So I went back today, got a good pump and there you have it. Put that one on and wouldn't you know, plenty of suction and I barely even had to choke it. Started right up and running like it's old self again.

I am not complaining that I replaced replaced line, cause it probably needed it. But man the diagnosis was tricky. That carb rebuild was probably not necessary, but I'm gonna keep all my old parts, clean them up and spare parts is never bad right?

Thanks for all the help on this one, I needed that guidance before I started replacing everything. I know better, but sometimes I just need some logic thrown at me.

20211121_144712.jpg20211121_144705.jpg
    Just a couple pics of the seat I made from the old canopy it was originally sitting under. The Texas wind destroyed it, so I repurchased the piping, got the vinyl material and some seat cushions from Hobby Lobby. That old ammo box my mom found in a barn. I bolted it on the top of the fender well.

"Well folks there you have it. Another instance where a "new" pump was no good. "

The good news is that you got your early Christmas present. It runs now.

One of the Rules of Jeep is:

"Trust nothing that anyone tells you or that you read until you verify it yourself."

This usually applies to a whole vehicle, but in this case, it applied to a fuel pump. Somebody told you it was a "new, good pump." You trusted them, but when you verified it with your own eyes .. the truth came out.

We've seen this with distributors, carburetors, fuel pumps and master cylinders and probably more than that.

It is frustrating - but doesn't it feel good when you finally whip the problem?

The ammo box is a touch of class ...

I like the ammo box for sure! It is in great shape. Way to use everything you have Joey! Very resourceful.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-22-2021 at 06:56 AM.

LarrBeard, you are absolutely right...Christmas came early. And it certainly feels good to correct a problem. Hopefully that means I can ask the wifey for other things for it now. Mom got like a half dozen of those boxes and some larger ones too. Hopefully I can find something to do with the others.

Bm, the point of this whole project was to take what I was given and stay true to it as close as possible. Then I began to realize that the undertaking of bringing this back to 1946 was going to take way more money than necessary to have a usable vehicle. So I started the journey of making this a custom CJ2A that attempts to do what any shade tree person might have done with the things available to them. I will continue to tweak what I need to and turn out a piece of history that will bring joy to me and those that come after me. Maybe a full on factory restoration will come later when time and resources permit.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Build you the Jeep that you can enjoy the way you want to use it. I like my Heep because I have no issues driving it through the brush or mud. Maybe some day I'll splash some paint on and make it pretty, but not today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-22-2021 at 05:22 PM.

gmwillys, i have always liked the look of your old Heep. I feel the same way about taking mine to the trails and eventually retiring it to farm and hunting use once my time in the service is over. My dream is that every child and grandchild will have a chance to ride in him.

"I'll splash some paint on and make it pretty,"

No! NO! NOOOOOOO!

The Heep is what it is .....

No paint in the foreseeable future. I don't want to change the license plate, so it will have to stay a Heep.