Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

The filter is between the pump and the carb. I looks through some of the posts on here and some research told me that there was never a filter on these originally, but I am gonna leave it on anyhow.

The original filter is the screen in the fuel pump bowl. It is definitely a good idea to have a filter between the pump and the carb.

I have not heard of a Solex "knock off" until now, but the thought of a Chinese knock off of a French carburetor is terrifying! Solex has changed ownership and manufacturing locations a few times over the years. For a long while they were made in China.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-19-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Bm, you can find them from Omix and Crown I believe. They have them on Quadratec and Morris maybe I saw. Y'all know my past with Crown I probably wouldn't buy one, but they are there so I wasn't sure if this one could be one.
    Well, replaced the whole line. No leaks, still no fuel...I know it's hard because I have a custom setup. But man I did not think it was this complicated and the worst part is that it runs great when it gets fuel.

So I tested to see if I had furl coming through the line...yes I did it the hard way. And no, I would not recommend it but it was all I could do. I pulled the pump again to see if there wasn't least coming through when the cam was pressed and it is. Hooked everything back and nothing. Tomorrow is another day of troubleshooting. I told my wife that all I want for Christmas is for this thing to run right...we shall see.

Joey if you are able to pull fuel all the way to the pump and verify that the supply line is clear, there is only a few things it can be. You might have a faulty fuel pump. If the line is clear on the suction side with no leaks and the pump wont draw fuel it might have a bad diaphragm or valve in the pump.

At this point I would take the pump off, hook up a supply to it and pump it by hand to verify it is good. Is that what you are saying you have done? If it pumps fuel by hand, the supply line is clear and not leaking and it still wont pump fuel, the pump arm is not being moved by the engine camshaft fuel pump lobe. Either it is the wrong pump, the arm is bent or the cam has a bigger problem. There just isn't much more to these.

Keep us posted Joey! You are having a time with this one.

"So I tested to see if I had fuel coming through the line...yes I did it the hard way. And no, I would not recommend it"

Yeah, we've all had to resort to that at one time or another. You get a swig of gas, diesel or kerosene and then you get this great idea of going in the house and asking the wife for a kiss: "You taste like gasoline --- ytucckkk - get away from me".

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time ....; just one of many.

Bm, I have not done that yet. That is my next test. I do have a question about negative pressure. If there is no fuel in the reservoir where the float is would that cause the pump to be pulling air and in turn keep the fuel from flowing? It is puzzling that it just seemed to stop working all of a sudden. I got a new pump and tried it as well but no luck.
    Larrbeard, that is exactly how it happened. But she was coming home from this time and wanted the smooch...lol

There are valves in the pump that only allow a one way flow, allowing pressure to build on on the output side. The only thing I can think of that would mess it up is a leak on the suction side. If it was a big enough leak it could keep the vacuum so low on the suction side that the pump wont draw. Does the pump get gravity fed from the tank? If it isn't gravity fed from the tank and there is an air leak, it may not pull the fuel from the tank.

"I got a new pump and tried it as well but no luck."

If my memory hasn't totally left me, we have recently had another incident of a "new" pump that didn't work.

It definitely seems like fuel pumps have been the hot topic!