Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

Just checking in folks. And I agree with LarrBeard, no paint for the Heep. I have made a few additions but nothing crazy just yet. I am working on the windshield frame right now but probably won't finish till after the holidays. I have all of the pieces cut and the hinge bolted to the bottom. I have to invest in welder to complete the build, but it is something I should have in the shop anyhow. I will be learning on the fly for the most considering my last go with welding was about 15 years ago. I will post some pics of the project to see what y'all think before I put it all together. Only thing I think I still need to figure out are the latches at the top to hold it tight.

Oh yeah...on my daily drive to the gym this morning I had a trans hiccup. Looks like I am stuck in 2nd gear. Everything worked fine as I pulled out of the house and then bam, when I pulled into the parking nothing but second gear. I have had a little fluid leak but nothing crazy. So I am gonna pull the top off and see what is going on in there. I have already changed the fluid once, and it was bad. So now maybe it is just time to do it again, orrr I have lost too much fluid. I am hoping the former and not the latter of course.

JoeyD are you saying the stick wont move out of second gear, or there is no shift when you move the stick out of second gear?

A welder is a great addition to any shop. In my opinion, I recommend that you would look into a 110 volt MIG welder, but a solid core wire unit with a 75/25 argon bottle. It is a whole lot easier to learn on gas then a flux core wire. Maybe Santa will bring you a new unit to learn on.

Hopefully when you pull the trans cover off, you'll find something simple like a shift fork is stuck on the slide in the top cover.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-15-2021 at 09:06 AM.

bmorgil, I am saying that the stick won't move out of 2nd gear. Like I said it was really strange to just happen with no indication of an issue.

gmwillys, that is what I am hoping for. I am not sure that I want to worry with gas though. I was looking at a 110 Flux and figuring I would do my best to learn with that. I do have limited space and anything I get will have to move with me at least 2 more times. Thanks for the information though, I will check into everything before I make the purchase for sure.

I am a novice welder at best but I have learned flux core splatters bad. I am running a Miller Multimatic and had been using flux core because the bottle was on my TIG machine. I was repairing gas caddies and decided I wanted the gas for shielding to help not go BOOM. It surprised me how big of a difference it made in quality and cleanliness of my welds. Flux core is nice where the bottle is very inconvenient to use but I am now a firm believer in using the shielding gas when possible.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Jeff, if the stick wont pull out of second gear I am hoping for a fairly easy one here. About the only thing that can cause that is a broken/out of position poppet spring or, interlock or wear on the detents in the rails causing the rails in the cover to lock out. I think a cover rebuild is in order.

bmorgil, I was hoping for at the most the same thing. However, I took the top off last night and it just seems bad to me...not an expert here by any means though. One of the sychronizer shift plates was pushed up out and not seated inside the synchronizer assembly. I could remove it and I attempted to put it back in place but the assembly would not slide back. I also noticed that my hands had gold metal shavings on them after touching the gears. You guys think an overhaul is in order? I really have no way of knowing when or if this has ever been done. Plus, I am really not sure that I want to tackle that by myself for the first time. Thoughts, recommendations...

JoeyD can you get a picture up close? I am not so sure there is a problem in the box just yet, but there certainly could be. The gold shavings are brass from the synchronizing cones. Not being there I just cant tell if it is an issue or not. It is possible the sychro locks have popped out or broke. A few things could be going on. Does the shifter move freely with the cover on the bench?

It sounds like either one of the shift plates lost the ear off the end that holds it on the spring let go or the spring broke.

Definitely could be it TJ. If the cover shifts fine on the bench, it could have lost a plate (lock key) from the clutch hub in the synchronizer assembly. That would prevent a shift no question. That is the only thing about that T90 synchronizer. Those three parts (Synchronizer spring, Synchronizer plate, hub) are fragile and the springs are not very strong.