Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 1946 CJ-2A Slightly Above Stock

Alright Bmorgil, you have convinced me to attempt it myself. I will make sure that the Mrs. knows we can do this...lol Just so happens that my Harbor Freight here has one of those on hand as well. So I guess we will get that and give her a go. That clutch alignment tool will be a must cause that is what I am most concerned about. I will let y'all know how the rebuild it going too.

On another note, I have my windshield frame fabricated and put together. Just have to take it to the glass shop to get them to put a piece in. Hoping they can put a rubber gasket around it as well, but if not I believe I will do that to make it a little more rigid and flush on the roll cage. I will post some pics of that project later.

The clutch tool should come with the clutch plate and disc. If not you will need one. They are not expensive. Usually made of plastic, you can find them pretty cheap sometimes.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/willys-...71-jeep-willys

So are you saying that while I am in there I should replace that too? Or depending on how it looks? I know I got some bad leaking on that transfer case too, i'm gonna have to at the least replace all those seals and gaskets right?

It would be a very good idea to replace the clutch while you are there. It s important to have the flywheel resurfaced when installing a new clutch. You want a good fresh flat surface for the new clutch.The transfer case will definitely need all new seals and gaskets.

Check the yokes for wear where the seals ride. It’s not gonna do much good to replace those seals if the parts have grooves. The yokes can be sleeved or replaced.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Bmorgil, alright I will plan to do that as well. Plus making sure to get the flywheel resurfaced as too.

Jeff, good call on those yokes as well.

Gonna start tearing things down this evening probably. Supposed to get some weather here tonight, so maybe I will get some free time tomorrow as well...lol I am really starting to believe that I will be doing more than I first expected when it comes to repairs. There is plenty of life left in the old guy but it really needs some attention.

Just take a lot of pictures ... there will be something that the book just doesn't show exactly where it came from.

It is looking pretty bad folks. I'm not sure much of anything is reusable. Granted I still haven't done any cleaning, but it is bad. Don't worry about the makeshift table I have it on...lol But y'all were right, it wasn't really bad at all taking it apart. Here are the pics while I decide what to do.20220203_154600.jpg20220203_154541.jpg20220203_154536.jpg20220203_153400.jpg

JoeyD it is not as bad as you are thinking, all the bearings/races/syncros can be replaced, the seals and gaskets are replaceable and as far as the gears go if it doesn't have a broken tooth, hardfacing wore off of it or a gouge out of it I would just clean the up with a wire wheel or a scotch bright pad and putter back in.
    Those T90's are a very forgiving tranny, depending what your intentions are for the project for example if you are planning on setting a new land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah I would replace everything or maybe even adding 35 more gears but I am sure that's not your plan but if you're just planning on short little one tank trips around town once and a while I would just replace only what's needed or broke.
    That's just my opinion, but I am CHEAP
    Last edited by TJones; 02-04-2022 at 07:12 AM.

Clean it up well Joey and take close up pictures of any parts that show wear or concern you. We will be glad to take a look. A little rust on the gears wont hurt. Its like Tim said, chips signs of excessive wear on gear teeth (especially gear clutching teeth) and wear or pitting on bearing surfaces are what you are looking for. Replace the synchronizer assembly. For what it cost there is no sense messing around with them. It will need all new seals, gaskets and bearings at the very least.