Thread: Military generator system to military alternator on M38a1 advise needed

Hybrid View

Military generator system to military alternator on M38a1 advise needed

The mil-surp alternator I'm putting on has a built-in regulator so I assume that I can delete the need for a separate regulator? And also I have a question about turn signal wiring. Will the most recent version of the flasher work with the older type clamp on turn signal switch? Any downloadable schematics and advise on these subjects deeply appreciated.

Gr, I am going to say that should be a 24 volt system and the regulator is very unique and not internal. Do you have a 12 volt converted M38a1? Schematics and everthing you need as far as tech manuals for your M38 are in the Tech Section here https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...3-Tech-Library . Review all the military manuals for some help.

Alternator install

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Gr, I am going to say that should be a 24 volt system and the regulator is very unique and not internal. Do you have a 12 volt converted M38a1? Schematics and everthing you need as far as tech manuals for your M38 are in the Tech Section here https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...3-Tech-Library . Review all the military manuals for some help.
    My Jeep is standard 24v military system. It currently has the oem generator system. I want to chànge this the the alternator system used on the m151a2 mutt jeep and the m35a2 truck.

I do not know of any military 24 volt alternators that use an internal regulator. Even the new vehicles that we produce currently, all have the external regulator.

A source for the military TM Manual is linked below;

https://archive.org/details/Technica...OperationM38a1

The same path will get you the field repair/shop manuals as well.

Alternator install

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I do not know of any military 24 volt alternators that use an internal regulator. Even the new vehicles that we produce currently, all have the external regulator.

A source for the military TM Manual is linked below;

https://archive.org/details/Technica...OperationM38a1

The same path will get you the field repair/shop manuals as well.
    According to TM 9-2920-225-34 for the M35a2 truck, the alternator I am planning on using ,man 2920-00-909-2483 ama-5102ut is both internally rectified and internally regulated.So I'm confused by your comment.

Gr, the Leece-Neville / Prestolite generator that the TM you refer to is for, will be interesting to retro fit. It is a monster! I thought those were 14 volt? I do not recognize it from any of the military vehicles I have seen. gm will probably recognize the style, but I am not sure I have ever seen it used in vehicles I have seen at the shows.

Keep us posted with some pictures, this will be interesting!

Alternator install

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Gr, the Leece-Neville / Prestolite generator that the TM you refer to is for, will be interesting to retro fit. It is a monster! I thought those were 14 volt? I do not recognize it from any of the military vehicles I have seen. gm will probably recognize the style, but I am not sure I have ever seen it used in vehicles I have seen at the shows.

Keep us posted with some pictures, this will be interesting!
    Some little known facts, in Canada the m38a1 was manufactured under license by ford of Canada I believe and used longer my their military than it was by ours. The Canadian m38a1 was in the later years of it's service, equipped with a 24v 60amp alternator either a prestolite or a Leece- Neville. In order to mount the alternator in place of the generator a special cast bracket was designed and manufactured. I have been lucky to have found one of these brackets. The two groove pulley is a direct swap . Later on in the US, the same alternators were used in place of generators on the M151a2 mutt jeeps during and after the Vietnam war. So just like it is possible to replacement the points and condenser on the m38a1 with the solid state ignition kit used on the Mutt jeeps it is possible to retrofit an alternator designed for the M151a2 to the M38a1. I thick the reason more m38a1 owners don't do it is the expense . The alternators cost upwards of $600.00 and the conversion brackets are almost impossible to find. The advantage to using the military alternator is two-fold, first your batteries are charged continuously even at idle and it doesn't change the appearance of your jeep.

I stand corrected. We currently use a 570 amp Niehoff alternator on most configurations of Strykers, with the exception of the mobile gun system. It uses a pair of Niehoff alternators to total 1,000 amps. One is traditionally mounted on the engine, and the other mounted in the nose and hydraulically driven. All use an external regulator.

Now this is some high end current generating stuff! OK we have drifted out of the classic Willys charging system and into portable welders.

A modern electronics driven warfighter needs a lot of amps to roll through danger.