Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would appreciate an education.

Would appreciate an education.

Hello!

I've been reading up on what to look for, etc on a Willys. Rust seems to be the biggest issue to overcome. How hard, for a handy novice, would new floorboards be? What about the island where the shifters are, is that replaceable? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by livingthepast; 02-06-2021 at 01:48 PM.

The floor and other rust prone areas are not a big deal to repair. I'll throw on some photos to help illustrate the process. Patience and time will yield a great result.

Some folks take the route of replacement bodies, and we have learned that there is now two companies that are producing those bodies overseas. KW and a few others offer American made replacement sheet metal pieces to fix the rusty pieces of a project. This is the route that I prefer, because to me I like to keep as much of the original steel as I can. The transmission tunnel typically survives rust damage. There are complete floor pans available that do have the tunnel included.
    Attached Images Attached Images

gm is the rust repair Guru! I used a tub kit on mine. It was just way too far gone. I was happy with the result. The newer body kits aren't to bad but they do need twerking. If it's not too far gone and your handy with a MIG, I like gm's made in America parts approach.

Twerk or Tweak?

" but they do need twerking."

Huh?

It's been a long winter and I owed you one...

(We carry on like this all the time)

I figured LarrBeard would catch that....And he did. With that, what is more disturbing.... Bmorgil's autocorrect tapping into the urban dictionary, or Senior Chief knowing what it is....
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-06-2021 at 09:06 PM.

Spell check Way more disturbing! I had the same thought. But then I checked my own spell check and the same thing popped up. So bmorgil, you are off the hook. Please nobody say anything else about twerking in your Willy's

Hahahaha, I love the banter! So what about a lack of title. I hear "stories" but what is really involved in getting a new title? I know it is State dependent, but is it doable with time?

Interesting where Larry's mind immediately goes when he's around "coconuts" in Florida.

You will have to research your particular location to develop your own "story" about Titles! I have heard a few. gm is pretty good with that as well. He has moved vehicles all over. In Ohio you would do a title search first and then apply for a Lost Title.

Some states do not issue titles on vehicles 25 years and older. A Bill of sale certified by a notary can be taken taken to the DMV, along with the Jeep to verify the serial number, if required. Some states may have you call your local police department to do a serial number check to ensure the Jeep isn't hot. All in all, it's a pain in the tail with all the hoops you'll be forced to jump through, but worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the background. I'm handy, but never welded. How hard is it to learn to mig weld? Am I crazy? It looks like the resources are out there to learn how to do it well enough to patch a floor board or two.