Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early 1950 48/49 Body Style Jeepster

Early 1950 48/49 Body Style Jeepster

Folks here's a few pictures of the restoration project for my early 1950 48/49 Body Style Jeepster. It has the L 148 Lighting 6 engine with the T-96 transmission and overdrive.
    I still need the bleed the brakes so I have not yet installed the front fenders. Also, it needs a new top which I am debating whether to install or not. IMG_1859.jpgIMG_1886.jpgIMG_1897.jpgIMG_2043.jpg
    Last edited by dgoodenow; 02-21-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Outstanding! You have done a great job with the Jeepster.

You could become out Jeepster subject matter expert if you stick around too long!

True LarrBeard, We are lacking in Jeepster expertise outside of the work you did a while back on the overdrive actuation. The only model of Willys that we will need to learn more about will be the Forward Control.

Again, great work done on dgoodenow!

You guys are too kind. The Jeepsters were very similar to the trucks and wagons, especially the 2 wd wagons. There are some differences but they are mostly related to body parts. One part I learned the hard way was the front fenders, the front fenders for the Jeepsters was the same for the trucks and wagons except the mounting holes on the lower part of the fender end. The fenders for the wagons and trucks mount from underneath up to the body, where the last two holes for the Jeepsters mounts from underneath to the side of the body. I have not noticed any differences in the grill, the hood, front bumper or drive chain parts, except the overdire governors mounted at different angles. The wagons can use either, but the Jeepsters can not use the wagons type . The rear bumper was also the same for the wagons less the bumper rounds. The Instrument cluster, radio, and glove box doors were also the same, although the face was different for different years (46 - early 50). I think the heaters were different, but I'm not sure. I have two for my two Jeepster, they are the same, but the ones I see for the trucks and wagons look different.
    Last edited by dgoodenow; 02-22-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Commonality

The Instrument cluster, radio, and glove box doors were also the same, although the face was different for different years (46 - early 50). I think the heaters were different, but I'm not sure. I have two for my two Jeepster, they are the same, but the ones I see for the trucks and wagons look different.

The engine turned cluster faces for trucks changed some time in '48 - the '48 parts book shows two different part numbers. Then, people swapped instruments between clusters - my speedometer has a "white" face but gauges are "black".

Heaters were often offered as a dealer option. Originally the truck was from Mississippi and the heater was about the size of a coffee can and didn't work worth a hoot -even in West Tennessee. After one winter in Indiana, I went heater hunting and found one in a station wagon in a barnyard (that had a dead goat in the cargo area.) That heater was better, but with all of the holes in the floor, it wasn't great.

Now, with all the holes fixed, that heater will run you out at 10-degrees on a January day. You have to regulate heat by cracking the driver window

I think the Jeepsters are cool. Definitely a nostalgia inducing vehicle.

Larry what about that goat?

I think you're right about the gauge swapping. From what I have experienced, the early trucks had the machine finish face, with white face gauges, the wagons had a silver face, but not machined, with side dash marks (kinda like whiskers in the middle on each side) and black face gauges, and the Jeepster had the machine finish face with black face gauges. The glove box and radio doors were also machine finished. I know photos would help, but I only have the Jeepster type at this time, see attached. Maybe someone else has a photo of the truck and wagon instrument cluster.IMG_2127.jpg

Are you trying to get me to tell the goat story again?

Absolutely. We all are on a need to know... Especially the new jeepster expert!