Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early 1950 48/49 Body Style Jeepster

Truly a story for the ages. Anyone who has had to crawl through a barnyard, hedgerow, or salvage yard to obtain the one coveted part you need will probably enjoy this tale.

Something about LarrBeard being a stinky old goat?

Anyway dgn, It looks like the truck's and the Jeepsters might have shared a lot of parts. This forum has some Jeepster guy's on it also. There is a few good finds when you google "Willys Jeepster". https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php If you search this forum for Jeepster, we have a few members with some info. There are some cool stories out there about those on the internet. A unique vehicle to say the least.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-23-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Stinky Old Goat, eh?

[QUOTE=bmorgil;15660]Something about LarrBeard being a stinky old goat? "

I represent that remark.

I am not stinky. Well, unless I've been in a shooting coat on a hot day or I've been under the truck for a morning.

I am not old. 76 isn't old -except when the arthritic hip flares up...

But I do have a couple of Grandkids who say I am the Greatest GrandPa Of All Time.

OK - maybe I am a stinky Old GOAT.

I'll tell the story in a day or so.

Your timing is better than the timing chain on Hams 48. We'll wait.

I found a couple of photos of Truck and Wagon Dash styles. The early trucks had the machine finish face with white instruments, and the wagons had the silver face with the black instruments, see attached.

Willys Truck Dash.jpgWillys Wagon Dash.jpg

Similar to the early gladiator SJ j series, except you've got voltage! Those are both cool looking

That looks so cool and vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgrtt123 View Post
    That looks so cool and vintage.
    I agree mrgt, what a classic look. I remember in the 60's thinking how "inferior" that old stuff looked compared to our cool looking stuff we "young" had surrounding us. Everything modern was the way to go. That old 40's and 50's stuff, we couldn't wait to change it out. Then I grew got a job and was introduced to plastics. Then I knew "Cheap". I grew much older, and now I realize the craftsmanship that went into the stuff that wasn't produced in the numbers referred to now as "Parts Per Million". Here I am now wishing I would have had a better eye back then. It is still possible to find classic components that can be restored back to working order. Very little of the 70's 80's and 90's parts" will or have survived to be restored to original 50 to 100 years later. Most plastics have to be remade. The way you restore an old classic often can be done with careful attention to the original parts.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-01-2021 at 07:40 AM.

I found an all original Jeepster that was in a shop for 40 years. It was a great help in identifying the original parts for my restoration and where they were located and positioned. I learned a lot from that vehicle. Now its time to get het back on the road. See attached.

IMG_2111.jpgIMG_2122.jpg

'48 Instrument Clusters

We talked about the instrument clusters on trucks, wagons and Jeepsters. Here is the cluster on my '48 truck. In '48 the engine turned and lined panels both show up in the Parts book. My truck is a late '48, so it has the lined faceplate with black faced gauges. I suspect the speedometer is a replacement my Dad put in it in the mid-'50's.

Since that speedometer was what I grew up with, I kept it even though it wasn't truly original. I call that picture "A Happy Truck" - everything where it needs to be!
    Attached Images Attached Images