Thread: 1961 CJ5 Restoration/Modification

1961 CJ5 Restoration/Modification

My grandfather purchased a 1961 Willys jeep and they used it to till the garden, run errands, pull the people out of the river etc. Then when my mother moved out of the house, she took it to college and it became her pride and joy. She drove it until her family size out numbered the seats available in the jeep and it was parked in 1982. Last summer, I picked it up and started the restoration. As the restoration has progressed we (I am also using 2 of my sibling's to help in the restoration) decided that it would be nice to achieve 65-70 mph in the jeep (I live on the interstate) and that way it would increase the utility of the vehicle. Long story short, I have found a new engine (2.5L I-4 Ford out of a 2001 ranger) and rebuilt it and mounted it to a 1971 pinto bell housing, and mounted that to the newly rebuilt T-90 & Dana 18. My next hurdle is to fit the new drive train back into the frame. Here is where I am running into problems. I replaced the transmission mounts and the I have lost the piece that adapts the T-90 base to the new transmission mount. I found a piece of channel that looked like it had rubber around it once, and it fits the base of the T-90, but I am not sure if it is the correct piece or not. Any help on how the transmission is supposed to mount to the cross member would be very helpful. I will post some photos so you can see the progress and the current issue. Thanks or the help in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The picture of that counter shaft is incredible. I don't think I have ever seen one in that bad of shape. It is fantastic to own a classic like you have where it has been in the family all its life.

Nice looking power package you put together there. There transmission/transfer case assembly is bolted to the cross member in three places. A rubber isolater under the transmission to the cross member with two bolts to the case and two bolts to the cross member. A round rubber isolater with a single thru bolt attaches the transfer case on the passenger side of the cross member.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/engine-...-transfer-case

Natterre, be sure to check out TJones,s CJ. Right along the lines of what you are up to. A lot of CJ's end up with all kinds of power plants. You have to love a motor swap.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...5959#post15959

Please keep us posted on your family build! Mo' pics. .. I'd ask if you've driven one like yours but already restored at fwy speeds?