Thread: New from the Midwest. Changing engine.

New from the Midwest. Changing engine.

Greeting all's and excited joining this forum. I've been reading a great deals of threads and learning a lot. My wife found a 1954 Jeep willy CJ3B and we purchased it. It was in good condition but the engine was okay. I'm in the processing of taking it apart so I can do my best to replicate a military jeep which I drove in my military service. I went from Jeep to Humvee but I loved driving and riding the Jeep. I'm just doing the exterior by painting it drab green and other cosmetic items but would like to get a dependable engine to drive around on our county roads. I've read about the change from the F134 engine to a Buick V6 engine. Is there a reference to change engines or sites helpful for a engine transfer for my Jeep?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1 Overview front side view.jpg

Welcome taz and Thank You for your service.
    Sounds like your wife is a good shopper!!!
    That thing is NICE!!!
    Mine had a V6 in it when I bought it, Adanced Adapters has some kits to switch it over and Novak does as well along with some good information on Buick V6s
    Great start to a project you have there!!
    https://www.novak-adapt.com/
    https://www.advanceadapters.com/
    The real information will come from the Leaders of this forum, they are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to “Heep Projects”
    They will chime in I’m sure and answer any question you have.
    Last edited by TJones; 03-07-2021 at 06:21 AM.

taz, check out TJ's Jeep. A great example of a v6 Jeep! Tricked out everywhere. I cant imagine the kind of power that a V6 puts into a little CJ. When you do the horsepower to weight calc's, it says wow!

TJ will be a ton of help for you.

Welcome and great jeep! Going to look great in green. Looking forward to your build progress, especially the engine insert.

Welcome Taz871!

Your wife is a keeper! The 3B offers the best platform for an endless array of engine choices. The high hood gives you plenty of clearance, while keeping the stock appearance. Popular engine choices range from Kubota diesels to Buick V6 or any brand of V8. The stock drive train can handle a lot of power without upgrade, but your overall top speed will be limited to the gearing. What are your overall plans?

Thank you for the information. I'll look it up. Looking forward to the change so I can drive down the highways and byways.

Thank you, I agree about my wife. She stood by on my deployments and kept the household intact. I'm planning to paint it OD green and change the engine to a V6 (I hope). I want a little bit stronger engine so I can take the jeep on the highway to nearby towns when we go cruising. I'm planning to keep the transmission but possible looking in changing the gears for highway driving. We like to make it into a more casual driving and not for show. I've worked a lot on older Fords and Chevrolet (Mustang, Camaro, Galaxy, etc.) but will need some reference in changing an engine in the Jeep. I've purchased manuals and cruised the internet for all available information. So I will see where this get me.

Thank you. I'll try that option. Might be easier.