Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there ANY value in old brake shoes/drums?

Hey man. Grab you a good horn, original. It's worth the trouble. Sorry to hear you lost yours. Just found mine and it's a hoot.

I found what looks like a nearly identical horn. It's on the way. And the new Omix spare tire box is already mounted.
    For whatever it's worth, I filed a police report in the rare event that this stuff shows up or is possibly sitting in a container at the PD.

Some homeowners policies have a "mysterious disappearance" clause, but you're probably not to your deductible to meet that...

Post a pic when you get your horn! I gave the meep-meep to some text-a-holic cross lane sitting bozo at a traffic light cause he pulled out of the convenience mart and missed his lane fit. Funny to hear the jeep sound and watch a guy jump up and get with it pronto after when he ignored the green go light for about 10 seconds.

Well it's definitely a mystery as to where that stuff disappeared to. What bugs me is that I'm probably going to find other things missing as I think of them!
    The horn will be here tomorrow. I'll post a photo. This thread had gone way off topic so if any moderator wants to split it, feel free to do so. I get the impression this forum is a little more relaxed though, which is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    I get the impression this forum is a little more relaxed though, which is fine with me.
    I get the impression your right!

Well hell! Horn arrived. It appears identical to my old one. Maybe it is??? No it's not; this one has a bracket on it.
    BUT... the damn thing doesn't work! I thought the listing said "working," but I don't see it in the text. I've messaged the seller.
    How do you fix a horn? It's not really rusted but looks like it's been sitting awhile. Spray contact cleaner inside?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark you will have to check around on how to disassemble that horn. On most they are screwed together. Usually it is just an electro magnet and a set of contacts. The magnet is energized and it pulls a "vibrating plate" down which disconnects the magnet and starts the process al over again. The plate bouncing back and forth makes the racket. You can usually tune the distance the plate travels slightly with an adjustment screw behind the magnet, to vary the sound. If you venture too far on the adjustment, or the horn is real dirty or corroded it wont pull the plate or trip the contacts. If the electrical contacts are corroded it will not work. If you can get it apart cleaning it up usually does the trick. The coil in an old horn is usually a very durable piece. They seldom go bad.

Yes, horns are pretty easy to work on. Yours looks like the case can be split and the contacts cleaned. Growing up my Great Uncle had a '64 Chevy C60 dump truck. He put a 6 volt long bell horn on it from an old truck. With 12 volts pushing it, it was loud and deep. It would scare the scrap out of anything that crossed in front of the truck.

I feel for your loss. I hate a thief more than most. At the rust ranch, I have a menacing looking one eared German Shepherd that keeps people on guard, but it is the innocent looking Heinz 57 freebie dog that will take a bite out of you if she doesn't feel you are friendly enough. She has free reign of the driveway and garage, and takes her job seriously. Hope you find the culprit, or at least get your items back.

If you find the culprit lets feed them to gm's dog!

I rebuilt mine, the original 6 volt horn. I converted the electrical to 12 volts and feed it to the 6 volt horn as gm alludes to below. I had to tune it to sound like the original and it does, very loud!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-30-2021 at 05:59 AM.