Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jeepster She Runs

That was a good idea - a lot easier than pulling the carburetor.

We'll add that trick to the list of "good ideas" to try.

Now - the next thing to work on is ....... ?

The next thing is brakes. I already replaced three of the wheel cylinders but I am having trouble removing the passenger side rear hub. I need to replace that one and the master as well. Hopefully the lines will be clear, if not than the lines as well. It now runs and moves but needs to stop too I assume.

"It now runs and moves but needs to stop too I assume."

Our best answer about brakes came from one of the phone commercials:

"Well, if the brakes don't stop it, something else will."

Yeah, brakes are important - don't skimp on them. 1948-era brakes give us a new appreciation for "safe stopping distance".

The car now stops. I replaced the brake and master cylinders and flushed out the brake lines. Blead the brake system today and all is good. With a vehicle that has been sitting for 40 years and when I got her she had no spark, no compression, no fuel, the clutch was struck, no brakes, and no title. She now runs drives and stop like it should and is titled in my name. Also, I sent the radio out for repair. When the radio comes back it should play, all the lights works, the heater works, and all the parts are there as from the factory. The question now is what do I do with her. I guess I could sell her, I bought her cheep and should be able to get a good price for it now. I could also restore her, but I just did that for the other one and to do it all over again, seams a little redundant. I think I mighty just keep it the way it is to let people see what a 73 year old vehicle should look and drive like. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help along the way.

Congratulations!

Great! In my opinion, keep the second Jeepster for an every day driver when weather isn't quite favorable for your prestine restoration. Then when offered a good price let it go.

I took the Jeepster for a ride today and she drove very nicely. Starts easy, runs nice, steers, shifts, and stops very nicely. She had more power than I thought and she drove up the hills well. It's still pretty rough to look at, but all that can be fixed with some time, elbow grease and money.

Pretty is only skin deep. It's the heart and soul that makes for a good cruise.

Jeepster Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by dgoodenow View Post
    I took the Jeepster for a ride today and she drove very nicely. Starts easy, runs nice, steers, shifts, and stops very nicely. She had more power than I thought and she drove up the hills well. It's still pretty rough to look at, but all that can be fixed with some time, elbow grease and money.
    Did you get honks, head turns and thumbs-up's?

Mechanically sound is the way to go. Ill take functional and a good time over nice to look at but cant drive any day!