Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeepster She Runs

GMWillys uses a matchbook cover to set the point gap. Do they still make paper matchbooks?

0.020" seems to be the universal point setting.

You can still find paper matchbooks and I still grab them when I see them. Paper matches and matchbook covers can be used to make a few quick tools. I always have a paper matchbook with some matches in it lying around. Once my dad (Korea MASH unit 1950) showed me how the 'fuzzy" end of a ripped off match could be used to gently and effortlessly pluck a foreign object right out of your eye.

.020" is a good number from the Briggs and Straten to the Willys.

" Once my dad (Korea MASH unit 1950) showed me how the 'fuzzy" end of a ripped off match could be used to gently and effortlessly pluck a foreign object right out of your eye. :

Another great life hack from Doc Dana .....

I double checked the points gape and it was .020 and I noticed that the points would not spark all the time with the ignition on and the points open when I inserted a small screw driver between the points. That told me I had a grounding problem on the ground side of the points. I tightened all the nuts and cleaned the ground strap and now I have spark at all times. It still coughs on idle, but excellerates well and no cough at high RPM. That tells me the idle circuit in the carburetor is not working right. Any thoughts.

??"Any thoughts.?"

Yeah, but I have a question first. What carburetor does the Jeepster use. Carter YF? Is there a tag on it with as a series number, such as YF Carter, 738, 768, 832, 924, 938, 951, 2071, 2392 ?

I want to look at carburetor details before I start to make suggestions.

The quick non-specific answer is going to be "Take it off and clean out the idle passages", but I'd like to know just which carb we're going to work on first.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    You can still find paper matchbooks and I still grab them when I see them. Paper matches and matchbook covers can be used to make a few quick tools. I always have a paper matchbook with some matches in it lying around. Once my dad (Korea MASH unit 1950) showed me how the 'fuzzy" end of a ripped off match could be used to gently and effortlessly pluck a foreign object right out of your eye.

.020" is a good number from the Briggs and Straten to the Willys.
    Pretty cool trick!

I am not sure what you mean by coughs at idle. Is it just idling and coughing or misfiring, or it wont take the gas and backfires? Problems in the idle circuit usually lead to problems like it wont idle. If the idle circuit is suspect the first thing to do is see if the idle mixture screw has any effect. If you screw it all the way in does the engine stall? If you turn it out does the engine begin to run rough at some point? If it passes those tests, the idle circuit is functioning.

Thanks. It has the Zenith PN 647572. It runs at idle but misses sometimes (coughs) but there is no backfire. I tried to adjust the idle mixture screw and it will only cause the engine to falter when almost completely turned in. Turning it out does not affect the engine at all, or at least very little.

The idle mixture screw does not make dramatic changes when turned out. If it is making a difference it's working. If it will stall it out when turned in it is definitely working. To adjust the idle mixture turn the screw in until the engine RPM's start to drop or the engine starts to stumble, then turn the screw out until it reaches the highest RPM and stop there. You are trying to find the spot where it runs the best at the highest RPM, screwed in as far as you can.

Misfires while idling are almost always traced back to some type of ignition issue or a burnt and/or out of adjustment valve. Fouling plugs, wires, dirty points or weak coil among a few things. If it is running well down the road at a light load, I would look into the ignition components. Igniting the mixture at idle and under load requires a good spark.

The cough is gone. I removed the idle mixture screw and sprayed some seafoam into the hole and ran compressed air into the opening. Returned the screw and the cough is now gone. Thanks for all the help. She runs well at idle, accelerates well, and runs at high rpm too. Nice running engine for one that has been sitting for 40 years.
    Last edited by dgoodenow; 04-19-2021 at 09:11 AM.