Thread: Rear Seat Mounting?

Rear Seat Mounting?

Hey, guys. I've got a rear seat with my '59 CJ5 but I'm not sure how it mounts. It looks like the front mounts slip backwards into slots while the rear mounts are held in place by spring loaded pins. Does anyone happen to have pictures of their rear seat mounts? Thanks.

There all the same from 46 to 64 Cajun. Exactly what you thought. The front slips under the "Tabs" in the floor. The rear drops down and is held in by these clips.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/vehicle...64-cj-2a-3a-3b

bmorgil, I'm not sure how that part would work with the seat I've got. I've attached a picture of the seat mounts that I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cajun I don't recognize that seat attachment. Maybe gmwillys has seen that before. That is not the factory set up. I don't know what that is. Mine is tucked away but if you look close here is two awful pictures of the front and rear.

I'm not sure where the seat came from. I've seen a similar mount on a restored '59 CJ5, online. The quest continues! On another note, I got the replacement drivers side floor pan trimmed and fitted today. I've got a really nice gap for a butt weld on two sides and plug welds where they were spot welded originally. Slow and steady she goes!

I remember on mine I had a goal. I wanted to have it ready for a parade coming up. I decided if I just put a little on it every day, I would make it. It worked. I put a little something on it everyday. some days were spent searching and ordering. Some days cleaning and traveling to the shops. Slow and steady, every day something. It worked I made it!

To me, the seat looks like it came out of an old school bus from the looks of the seat cover and the mounts.

You've got the right plan on the floor board replacement. Hopefully with a little luck this weekend, I'll start buzzing in floor boards in my wagon. More to follow with pictures. Keep up the good work Cajun.

gmwillys, thanks for the kind words. I did some google searches for rear seat mounts and found several pics of the type shown in the pic. The seat does remind you of a school bus seat, lol. On my floor pans, I used the replacement from KaiserWillys, I think made by Classic. They're over sized so plenty of wiggle room in making them fit. The hole for the fuel tank is about 1/4" off but otherwise I'm happy with them. My hat channels are kinda iffy. I've repaired most of the rust on them but the extensions that go forward from the toe board are pretty rusted. I may just order the hat channels that aren't preassembled and weld them match the angles on the ones I have.

The floor pans and such from KW are pretty good overall. I tried to form my own floor pans for my wagon, but with the complex curves that go around the transmission tunnel and a lack of an English wheel, I was inclined to use the KW panels. I've used them before, with good luck. The hat channels I've used blank channels, (straight sticks) and have bent or formed them to match the originals. More labor intensive, but much cheaper.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-19-2021 at 01:09 PM.