Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Off The Topic; 2021 Jeep Rubicon Destruction

A Little Off The Topic; 2021 Jeep Rubicon Destruction

I saw an article about a guy who managed to blow up his 2021 Jeep Rubicon by flat towing it improperly. According to the description the entire bottom of the V6 engine had blown out, exposing the cylinders from beneath and destroying the transmission bell housing, catalytic converter and other components.

How did he do this?

He flat towed it (no trailer), in first gear, 4WD engaged, transfer case in Low. (Ya' gotta' just shake your head and say; "Oh my goodness...", or something like that.)

The writer estimated that if the owner towed it at highway speeds, the drive train spun the engine at about 50,000 RPM - at least for a while.

A Jeep mechanic estimated parts alone would be about $30K to repair it. I’d guess it’s a body shop parts donor now.

The moral to this story - be sure to tow your Vintage Jeep properly!

WOW! That is wild. "you just cannot make this stuff"

Their everywhere! Owners manual? We don't need no stinking owners manual!

OMG that had to of made one hell of a racket until it had a scrap iron fit, hard to believe!!!
    It had to of had at least 2 tires chirping pretty good when he first took off.
    Like AK-MJ said you can’t make that stuff up
    Goes to show ya you can’t fix stupid even with duct tape, all it does is muffle the noise!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 03-18-2021 at 06:00 PM.

That's a real .... drag .... !!!!

I really have to ask AZ are you or were you an engineer or an accountant??
    You comments are to funny, they remind me of my accountant or one of my best friends who is an engineer.
    They all think in a completely different mind set than normal people, I’m not saying it’s bad just they look at things way differently and that’s a beautiful thing.
    It really makes me stop and think out of the box we all live in.
    Last edited by TJones; 03-18-2021 at 07:27 PM.

The exact opposite! I'm a 'no details please', 'just give me the 300,000 foot overview', hard charging blowhard. For example, I was gonna ask bmorgil if oil was important to the engine, it being engine oil. That's because today my engine oil light came on, I didn't know why. Surprised to have even noticed it, really. Anyway I stopped at one of the side road automarts to resupply myself, sorted out the synthetic from the 15-40 natural weights, and poured some in the hole atop my vintage engine! I'll be damned. Thing runs great now! Except the smoke coming from under the hood, which of course my neighbor says will "burn off" at some point "eventually" as long as "it doesn't catch afire". Which I was glad to hear of that. No my friend, I'm on this forum because you all are the best wrench twerkers I've read, you know the best history, you got great sensations of humor, so far I haven't bothered anyone too overly much, and I couldn't enjoy my willy's jeep truck build without the people of this place helping me build it. So. All good!

I was going to ask bmorgil if oil was important....... It is apparent we need to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I was going to ask bmorgil if oil was important....... It is apparent we need to meet.
    Exactly what I was talking about, his sense of humor is one of a kind

Add oil to the list of items Bmorgil needs to take when he flies to AZ to 1) remove the choke knob, 2) document the crashed fence, 3) education in oil weights and detergent vs non detergent oil use.