Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

Looking good Cajun. What could the KW tool box piece have done better?

bmorgil, the fit and finish is just not up to snuff. I believe the piece is made in the Philippines. Welds look like they were dressed with a 40 grit angle grinder. The stiffening beads extend too far forward. They should stop just shy of where the passenger seat mounts bolt down. I'll either have to modify via cut and weld or cut my seat mounts in half and mount with only one bolt on each side. I'll get it to fit but it's gonna be more work than it should be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see on the web site that box is supposed to fit 1946 thru 1971 CJ's. I have to wonder about that. OMNIX lists a different box for 1955 thru 1971. I am pretty sure there were changes made to give more leg room somewhere in there on the early CJ's. gmwillys will be more familiar with the CJ's and the tool box. I doubt that one size fit all here. Maybe they just figured here is an oversize cut it down? I am thinking there is at least three different tool box configurations.

I wouldn't chop the leg on the seat, a giveaway something isn't right there. You are working hard to keep all that original steel. Might as well be sure what you put back in from the reproduction stuff looks as good.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-06-2021 at 11:32 AM.

bmorgil, where did you see a different toolbox or he 55-71 CJ's. I'm not finding it on KW or anywhere else. I'm with you as far as keeping original as possible. If I can't find anything else, I guess I'll start modifying the toolbox to fit. On a side note, how do I enlarge my uploaded pics, so they show better when you click on the image?

I think the vendors web site is wrong. OMIX lists it as 46 thru 71.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/3...hoCwPgQAvD_BwE

https://www.omix-ada.com/tool-box-as...ep-models.html

I am not sure why the picture wont enlarge. I think it might have to do with the original size upload. LarrBeard might know this one.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-06-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Took some measurements and the Omix toolbox is 1 1/4” wider. Depth is the same so foot space should be good. I’m thinking I’ll trim off the extra width from the outboard side. It definitely isn’t a one size fits all.

I have taken an original 3A tool box and fitted it to an M38A1, and the dementions were the same. The only difference was the A1 has a mount for the parking brake, and the front panel had to be changed to remove the Jeep script stamped. The military just had two vents. Omix is close, but not exact.... It gets you in the ball park, but you can barely see the field.

gm so the tool boxes are all the same? It sounds like your consensus is the boxes you buy today are a good starting point. I take it OMIX is the only supplier.

According to the gentleman I spoke with at KW, Omix is the only supplier out there. I should be able to make it fit but it's gonna be a pain to modify the top to get the seat mount brackets to fit correctly.

Omix is the only component manufacturer out there. KW does make American made piece parts that are really good quality, but not a tool box assembly. Take your time, you'll get your Omix piece straighten out.