Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

I posted this picture earlier, but has anyone seen a back seat mount like this? Not sure where the seat came from but it was with the jeep when it arrived.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Took the tub off the rotisserie and made a couple of oversized sawhorses that allow me to place the tub upside down. Makes it easier to work on the floor pans. Once off the chassis, this tub sure has a lot of flex. I got it leveled, squared, and braced up, and finally got the nerve to start cutting floor pans. I made a pattern with poster board so hat I can duplicate all the hole for chassis mounts, etc, on the new floor pans.

The new pans from KW give you plenty of extra metal for trimming to get a good fit. I was at Harbor Freight and grabbed a pack of those little clamps that hold the patch panel in place, with a nice gap for butt welding. They work like the cat's meow! Got the panel tack welded on the top and inside edge. I used plug welds on the outside and back edges and then stitch welded to complete the job. I'll dress the welds with a flapper disc next. Pretty darn happy with the results. Tomorrow, we tackle the passenger floor pan. This may be a little more involved. I'm going to have to make repairs to the rear floor riser also, as it has a lot of rot where the tool box was located, but I think it can be salvaged. Time in the shop, working on the CJ, is good therapy for what ails ya!!

Very well done Cajun. Harbor Freight is a great source for the odds and ends specialty body work items. The spot weld cutters work well for removing the old panels, and beats the price I paid for from Woodward Fab.... 1/4 of the price for the same cutters.

Nice Cajun! Its coming back to life. Those pieces fit pretty well. Hows the quality?

Don't you just Love/Hate Harbor Freight? They have what you need for a price that only China can provide, and I can afford!

"Once off the chassis, this tub sure has a lot of flex."

When the restorer had the cab of the '48 on the rotisserie, he suspected that it was going to flop all over the place once he cut the rotten floor pans and door sills out, so he welded some angle iron across the door openings and several other places to keep what was going to be left of the cab rigid.

Yo are doing some very nice sheet metal work there.

LarrBeard, I ended up with the tub upside down and shimmed up before cutting. Nothing moved when I cut out the old floor, and everything stayed square so that I could get it tacked in place. bmorgil, the floorpans were of nice quality. They give you plenty metal around the edges. The only thing I noticed was that the hole for the fuel tank line was off by about 1/4 inch. No biggie. I made a cardboard template with all the required holes that need to be cut. I'd heard some bad press about the Classic replacement panels but these were fine. I think it had more to do with their hat channels not having the correct geometry.

Cajun, for some reason the fuel tank fuel line hole is always in the wrong spot. Mine was also off. I have read a few who say that. I think that hole "varied" in production. When you put the tank in, you may have to "adjust" the spout. It also seldom fits perfectly into the hole on the side of the body. It can be quite far off. This is common I have actually seen a few guy's chop up the side of the body and relocate the fill hole. There is no need. You will usually have to hold the tank and bend the neck to fit the hole. It is not too difficult to do. On mine the new body and new tank wasn't close. It took a little bending of the spout but it fit right in.

A little bracing goes a long way when replacing floors. On the A1 I did a few years back, the only piece that connected the cowl with the rest of the body was the top of the rockers/door opening. A lot of tweaking,(twerking in LarrBeards case) and some 1" square tubing made everything square again. The driver's floor was tacked into place to keep everything in check, then the body was removed from the frame to continue the floor replacement.

There is no shame in buying what you need from Horrible Freight. If I were to claim to be a professional, then I would shell out the money for the better tools, but using odds and ends from China works better for the budget. It seems that a lot of the premium tools are now made overseas. I hate buying overseas, but they have priced themselves out of the budget for most, and I paid off what I do own 25 years ago, and am not looking to owe on a tool truck account.

Damn you do some nice work there GM