Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

I’ve been in the background on this chat thinking to myself of all the “oh sh%t” moments I had with the MDJuan body I bought and how frustrating it was especially with the front fenders and grille fitment, but the biggest problem was the windshield. It fit about as good as a square block in a round hole, it looked like someone ran over it with a 25,000 lb dozer.
    I’m so glad I got mine from Jay at Willys Overland in Toledo, it was a few bucks more but the mounting holes were Perfect. He didn’t promise about anything else but the way it mounted on the frame, and I’m telling you it was exact!!
    Cajun I feel your pain with the tool box, I got to the point where I got pissed and took a 4” cutoff wheel and cut the whole thing out and that’s where I mounted my battery
    It sounds like you are determined enough and have enough skills to make what you have in your mind as a finished project, so keep up the Good Work Buddy!!!

One time I was mid project.. so I was watching them drop jeeps out of the high sky into combat zones. I drop something on my foot and it breaks. So that got me to thinking, what if? So you are running out there to the LZ, unwrap, get rolling, fuel issues? Where's supply? Some clipboard dude checkisting? It becomes a parts jeep if it fails battlefield QC? Hah. You start up, maybe, you drive ahead, kind of pulling aint she? Then you jam the brakes and it pulls you the hell the other way. Luckily, there ain't no road. So you don't notice?!? Thus, I proclaim to my OCD self that OCD didn't exist in those before times, couldn't, because only perfect things were never man made, and efficiency shall be rejected by my soul in these now and future times, left to fill the realm of of my dreams to guide me as a perfect hope, but not to guide my hand as I twerk a wrench. But none of that nonsense advanced my project, so I got off my butt chair (bucket for some), swept out the garage, then went for a drive. That helped alot. Because I like to drive Kaiser-Willy’s Jeep Truck as it was meant to be done: no matter what it looks like or acts like, it does function, so drive it like 'hell is coming to breakfast' ...
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 07-10-2021 at 09:38 AM.

TJones, when I first started trying to fit the toolbox, I was thinking there was no way, I should have just tried to salvage my old box. I've now got it fit correctly except in the rear left corner, which is about 3/16" high. Looks like the only solution that I can see is to cut out a thin section of the vertical side wall and bring it down on that side. I stared at it for a couple hours last night and decided I'd attack it today. Wish me luck.

The toolbox is finally fitted to my satisfaction. Ended up cutting a relief in the inboard side and that worked like the cat's meow! Fits like it's supposed to. Got a few other things to do before I weld her in permanently. May also need a new pair of gloves!
    Attached Images Attached Images

There was no doubt in my mind you would get it Cajun!!!!

I did a lot of sitting on a bucket, smoking a Winston and having a cold one before I figured out what was my next move and often times changing my mind, cutting out what I just did and changing it completely.

Looking good now Cajun! The gloves are definitely done.

Yesterday, I laid the tub upside down and started fitting the new hat channel. Spent most of my time taking measurement off the chassis, trying to accurately locate the chassis mount points. After spending a few hours doing that, I decided to place the tub back on the chassis to double check. Turns out all of my original marked locations were within 1/8". I'm leaving for work today and won't be home for 5 weeks, so the hat channel will have to wait. It was neat seeing the tub back on the chassis again.

I trust a good tape measure, but nothing beats verifying proper fitment to the frame.

Be careful on your five week business trip. We'll catch you upon your return.

Safe trip ....

Wow, time sure does have a way of getting away from you. Finally got back in the shop this week and decided that I was tired of my CJ having the snaggle tooth look. My grandfather cut out a couple of the grill bars back when he first got the jeep. I assume it was for his winch. After 60+ yrs, that look was getting old. I took a piece of rebar and ground it down a little and it worked perfectly for bending some new grill bars out of 18 gauge mild steel. After a little tweaking, trimming, welding and grinding, baby has a new smile!! I'm very happy with the way it came out. Now to start back on some of the minor body work, taking out dings and little dents. Also have to get a shrinking disk and start working on the back floor, to get rid of the oil canning. Slow and steady!
    Attached Images Attached Images