Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

Well done Cajun! Glad you made it back safe and sound.

Looking like its coming back now Cajun! Nice work on the grill. That is the one piece you always want to try to keep original. The signature Jeep grill.

WOW Cajun!!!!!
    You are quite the fabricator, you cant hardly tell it was even cut out and replaced.
    It turned out Really Sweet!!!!!

"After a little tweaking, trimming, welding and grinding, baby has a new smile!!"

That sounds like an ad for an orthodontist; "See Cajun 98 if you want to give your baby a new smile."

Maybe a "Jeepodontist?"

It looks really great, a little paint and it never happened.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen! I was worried that I wouldn't be able replicate the bars like the originals but once the paint is on you won't be able to tell. Now, for the next fun job. Fitting the new hat channel to the new floor pans.

Question for the brain trust. I just dropped off my axles to have a thorough going thru before I get them painted. Everything looked good as far as the axle shafts, gears, etc. Looks like all I'm going to need is a couple of overhaul kits with all the new bearings and seals. I found overhaul kits for my Dana 44 and 25 axles on KW. They're pretty proud of those kits!! Has anyone had any experience with these kits or is there a better way to go? I've also got my chassis off to the media blaster and will have it back next week with fresh paint. My media blaster/painter only has flat or gloss black paint and I can't decide which to go for. Any thoughts?

Cajun, if you can get the numbers from the bearings and search them. Also, Rock Auto is going to be tough to beat.

"My media blaster/painter only has flat or gloss black paint and I can't decide which to go for. Any thoughts?"

I did the frame on the truck in a gloss black and I've not regretted it. I do keep it pretty clean and the glisten and shine does make the truck a bit sharper - but then I do pamper the truck a lot. As the kids say "YRMV".

Just make sure it is a good tough paint, especially if you're going 'touring" with the Jep.

LarrBeard, I'm leaning towards the gloss finish. It should also be easier to clean. Bmorgil, I'll start doing some price comparisons to see how they compare. I'm pretty sure I can get them cheaper thru Rock Auto if I take the time to source the parts separately.

I also use gloss on the frames. I have done it that way since I did one in flat and then saw how the oil stained it. It is more absorbent than gloss. Gloss is much eiasier to clean.

I wish I would have written all those numbers down. I probably did several times and now I don't know where! When you go to the RA site, look at your vehicle by application. It points out the manufacturers number for you. Just click on the "info" button and you will get all the Manufacturers information.