Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

Well, after a couple of frustrating days I finally have the new toolbox fitted for the most part. The fit around the tranny tunnel was off by about 1/2". I cut off the flange, added new steel and trimmed until I had a good fit. Then I rewelded the flange in place. The back of the toolbox, where it fits to the rear floor is proud, about 1/4". Not sure how I'm going to address that. I'm done for the day. Time for a cold, adult beverage!

If the 1/4" is weighing on your senses, I would section the lower part of the tool box to get rid of the excess. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

I had the Motor trend channel on last night out in the garage for back ground noise. Junkyard Empire had come on and I usually don't pay close attention to that particular show, but they had a Willy's MB on there, so my interest was peaked. Long story short, they put a MDJuan body on..... The rear of the hood stuck up about an inch or better, so it looked terrible in my opinion. The guy on the show was gripping that none of the body mount holes were drilled, but they sent it to paint before fitting the body fully...?..

Cajun it is sounding like you should have just bought the lid and hinge! You are ending up making the rest.

I agree gm, should have fitted that body At Least once! I put my Juan body kit on three times before paint. They give you a good start, a real good start. You may have to do a little work but its all there and ready for you to polish it up as far as you want to go. At the very worst you have all the material and parts in the general shape you need. Its just a matter of how far you want to go. I have sen a few examples and pictures where you can tell a "Kit" went straight from the crate to on. They look like the fit and finish is from a third world. I also know a few examples that were worked on a bit and have placed very well in shows.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-09-2021 at 08:45 AM.

gmwillys, your suggestion is probably the route I'll take. bmorgil, I thought about just replacing the lid but there was a lot more rust involved. With hindsight, I may have been better off repairing what I had. One thing I noticed is that the reproduction lid is larger than the original. I don't think it would fit in the original opening without a lot of work. On another subject, I'm also working on getting the tank positioned correctly so that I can cut out the holes for the fuel line and drain. Does the tank just rest on the floor pan or are there some type of rubber strips that should be there to keep it from rubbing. I don't remember anything there when I removed the tank.

bmorgil, thanks for the info. I should know better than to try to search online before my coffee kicks in, lol. You guys are great!!

I'm wondering about the crate jeeps. Lots of disputed facts. Some say they were plentiful and some say never happened. All that aside, why would we think those tubs were perfectly fitted? Isn't it possible that a 'not factory fitted' body would almost necessarily have fitment isues? That's what they do at the factory, right? Fitment and quality control? Perhaps all that has happened is the end user has become fitment and QC department. That said, soon enough we will be able to print these things to match whatever specs, so conceivably a guy could print to attach to wherever the holes are at on whatever frame is sitting there.

5JeepsAz, I'm finding out that the original bodies aren't exactly straight! I've been measuring and double/triple checking to make sure everything is just right. Turns out that my unwrecked, unmolested body isn't exactly straight and square. It's driving the OCD in me crazy, lol. But as Lone Watie said to Josie Wells in that classic western, we shall "Endeavor to Persevere"!

I was working on my 2A this evening. The original body fitment left a little to be desired in itself. I took the grill out to clean up the air funnel and knock down any surface rust. When all the bolts are removed the grill springs out of square. It takes some doing to get everything back into shape and get the bolts to all start.

Endeavor to persevere! One of my all time favorite movies..

OCD has to be checked at the door of the shop. Keep just enough to make everything to your liking.