Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

Well, took a few days off to take the wife to the Texas Hill Country. Happy wife, Happy life! Worked on the tail light panels today. They had both rotted out behind the body mounts, as usual. I was able to cut out the bad and fab up some replacement panels. I'm happy with the way they turned out. For reference, the body is sitting upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm pretty happy with my patch panels. Now I have to tackle to rear floor riser. That's gonna be a bear.

Your doing a damn good job there Cajun!!!
    Before long your baby will be in the paint booth.
    And you are right on about the riser it is a bear, but it looks like your taking your time and that’s the key.
    Time and patience!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 04-01-2021 at 04:04 AM.

I agree with TJones. Very well done Sir.

Nice tack and stitch technique. Are you using a heat sink backer?

LarrBeard, I'm not using any heat sink. I just go slow, trying not to overheat the metal. I have an occasional blow through but this old steel welds up pretty nicely. I have all my measurements for locating the new body mounts and holes for the tail lights. Looks like I'll be taking several weeks off from the project as I have to head out, overseas, for work, starting this weekend.

One more question for the braintrust. How are you guys going about getting to the light rust that forms in between the body panels, where they're spot welded together? I want to treat all these areas to delay/prevent it's return.

Cajun, I use these products with great success. https://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust...treatment.html Their inside frame coating is very good. Very thin it gets everywhere.

Thanks, bmorgil! I'll take a look at them. I think I still have an Eastwood catalogue laying around someplace!

I use a weld through primer to prep the panels before installation. I have found that any good self etching primer will work in a pinch. I like to use the Rust oleum self etching primer rattle cans. It doesn't effect the weld too much, and most paint sticks to the primer well.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-self-etc...SAAEgL49PD_BwE
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-01-2021 at 11:11 AM.

I’ve got a good weld thru primer that I’m using on all the areas that will be hard to paint and between sandwiched metal that I plug weld. Don’t want to be doing all this work again in my lifetime!! Thanks again for all the advice.