Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

There is one thing for sure Cajun you are doing it RIGHT!!!
    Looks Great so far!!

TJones, I appreciate it. This Willys will go to one of my boys some day. I want it to last another 60+ years!!

Hey Cajun, ran over to see my mom today, 84. First time in her place, last year has been balcony get togethers only. Watched bonanza or rifleman or something on over air tv mid afternoon. Talked ahwile. It was good to see her. Thought of your build being for your mom! I'll trust the ones who know how good your work is to say as much, but it looks good progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun98 View Post
    TJones, I appreciate it. This Willys will go to one of my boys some day. I want it to last another 60+ years!!
    There is no doubt it will last another 60 plus years and it will be a Great memory for your boys to look back on and think “Dad did this for us”!!!!!

Well, I'm back after an almost 3 month hiatus. Work and life sure can get in the way. Had to spend a few months in the lovely Middle East for work but I'm done with that till it cools off a little. I finally found some cold roll 18 gauge steel. That was like pulling teeth. Covid, I guess. Anyway, I'm getting ready to get back to work. Question for the brain trust. How square are the bodies on these old jeeps? I've got mine all shimmed up and everything is level but when I take crossing measurements, I'm always off by about a 1/2". That's the way it was when I took the tub off of the chassis. It's never been wrecked. I want it straight but how straight were they to start with?

Alright. I'm finally asking. Why call it a hat channel?

Hat Channel

In a cross section, it looks like a fedora ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just got all new hat channel from KW. I thought I'd be able to salvage mine but finally decided it was a case of diminishing returns. I got the hat channel that's not welded up. That way I can get everything aligned like I like and tack it together. Next on my list of things to do is to get an air conditioner for my shop. This heat and humidity is crazy. Today, I cut out over half of the rear floor riser and got the new piece trimmed and clamped into place. Before I final weld that, I have to add a three inch strip of sheet metal to my rear floor, where it meets up with the tool box. Once that's in, I'll finish weld that riser in place. Then I'll have to address the rot along the bottom of the body, below the door openings. It's good to be back in the shop!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cajun98; 06-26-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Air conditioner for the shop..... priceless! Its got my vote.

How was the quality of the KW hat channel?

bmorgil, the hat channel looks really nice. I had heard bad reviews about it previously, but I believe they were referring to the channel that was already welded up. With the individual pieces, I should be able to lay it out like it needs to be. I still have my old hat channel, intact, to use as a pattern. I'll be back at it later today. I'm gonna wait for it to get a little hotter, lol.