Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

Looking good Cajun. The hat channel can be a bugger, but you pulled it off extremely well. You are making good progress.

I agree, looking great Cajun! I would be very satisfied with the results you are getting. Just wait till it is rolling.

Putting the chassis on the tub was a stroke of genius! We've not heard of that previously.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Putting the chassis on the tub was a stroke of genius! We've not heard of that previously.
    I was able to talk my better half into helping place the tub on the rolling chassis, once! She said that was more than enough. I ended up losing several of my mounting point marks and needed to locate them again. I already had the tub sitting on sawhorses upside down and it was a ton easier laying the bare frame on top of the tub. Took about 10 minutes to get everything nice and square. All of the mounting holes are drilled dead on.

Haven't posted much lately. Still slowly chipping away at the old girl. I had a question about media blasting. I've been using a DA sander to get rid of the old paint, down to the original red oxide looking primer. That's worked pretty well. The underside of the tub is another story, with all the angles, crevices and hard to reach spots. Would I be better off getting these areas media blasted? I'm leaning that way but I'm worried about sheet metal warpage. What type of media would work best for cleaning up the body?

Blasting can warp the metal, but you can control how agressivly you go after it. Media blasting with corn cob works very well. gmwillys has great success with the "flapper wheels" from Harbor Freight. I use a sand blaster and watch how long and hard I blast. It is messy to say the least. gm will pop in here and show you what he uses.

This is what I use exclusively;

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-8...ank-60325.html

They do not damage the metal, and you don't get the pesky wires sticking in you that a wire wheel throw. The brushes last a long time, and can get into just about anywhere on the bottom of the tub depending on the size of the drill that you use. The nylon brushes will knock the paint off of just about any surface as you can see in the photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

gmwillys, that looks like what I need. I've gotten just about everything I can with my DA. Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight for me. Thanks.

Like I said, I swear by the brushes. They eat through body filler, multi layers of paint, and undercoating. The metal surface then just needs to be blown off and wiped with prep-sol, then it's ready for a sealing primer. The abrasive in the brush is just enough to give the paint something to bond to. Also, it takes about four brushes to do an entire Jeep top to bottom, inside and out. At $4.00 per, that is pretty cheap way to go.

That's gonna be a lot less expensive than media blasting or buying another truck load of DA sand paper! Can't wait to try these abrasive brushes out!. Also on my list of things to get done is to get a new compressor. I'm looking at an 80 gallon Ingersal Rand unit. Should be more than enough for running various air tools.