Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

bmorgil, I spent an hour or so on RA last night looking up parts. It's time consuming but I think it'll be worth the time. I think I've also decided that the chassis will be dressed up in gloss black. I like the idea of it being easier to clean and not having oil stains to worry about.

Looking through your photos brought back a lot of memories on my 57. You were lucky to have a much better tub than mine.

okiemark, I was surprised when I started the tear down. I was worried that it would have been a lot worse. The jeep spent its first 35 yrs in south Louisiana, twenty miles from the coast, before ending up in Montana for almost 30 yrs. You'd have thought the salty air would have dissolved it in that time. I'll take luck any time, lol.

Haven't posted in a while but I'm still grinding away at the project. I got my chassis and axles media blasted and painted gloss black. I then had a local mechanic go completely thru both axles. He was really surprised that the axles where in such good shape. We went ahead and changed out all the bearings and seals and then closed them up. I was going to remount the axles today and then put the tub back in position to do a double check on the chassis/tub mount locations but decided to take a different approach. I already had the tub upside down so I decided to take the chassis and place it on top of the inverted tub. I was a heck of a lot easier to accurately locate the frame and all the mounting bolt locations that way. Now that all of the bolt hole locations are marked, I can get busy plug welding the hat channels back in place. These projects are like trying to eat an elephant. One bite at a time, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

True, but some eat faster than others. You're making good progress though. The frame, body, and axles are looking great!

Looking like a perfect restoration Cajun! Nice way to go on the inverted frame and tub. Not quite as big as an elephant but clearly a "one bite at a time" project!

Ok, I'm trying to change out the transfer case mount in the cross member. I ordered the new mount from KW but can't get the old cup separated from the cross member. Did the original mount come with the cup welded to the cross member? I don't want to tear something up if it doesn't come off. It's either welded or completed rust together.

The cup is part of the cross member.

Thanks, bmorgil. I'm glad I didn't get stupid and tear into it with a big hammer.

Well, I was finally able to get out in the shop and get some work done on the CJ5. The new hat channel is all plug welded and dressed. That's a job I hope I never have to do again!! Today I get the new tool box welded in. Pretty happy with the way things turned out. That should be the conclusion of the big welding projects. I still have a few little areas that need some attention. I ordered a new worm gear and overhaul kit for my steering box, as well as a steering wheel puller. Mine seems to be fused to the tube, lol. Trying not to mess up my original steering wheel. Engine goes to the machine shop next month when I get back from work. It was running pretty good prior to the start of the resto but I'm going to have my mechanic take a look inside and get a better idea of the engine's condition. Lots of satisfaction gotten from working on the old girl!
    Attached Images Attached Images