Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Cajun's '59 CJ5 Resto

Sorry for the delay in getting a pic. The shift fork on the right, for second gear, seems to have some slop. I'm thinking the pin that secures it to the rod is worn. There is a small amount of play, fore and aft, that leaves a small gap between the synchro sleeve and the second gear, when shifted to second. There's also slop side to side. Not sure if this has any affect on shift quality. How difficult is it to replace he pin that secures the fork to the rail?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The pins are hardened "Roll Pins". They are not hard to replace. You need to make a careful observation as to which end of the roll pin is the tip so to speak. Roll pins have one end that is contoured slightly so the pin doesn't "bite" as it is pressed in. One end is more flat and that is the end you want to drive on when you install them. You want to be sure you drive that tapered end out last and in first. The forks should slide on the rails with no play. Be sure the rails and/or forks themselves aren't worn where they ride together. There isn't much to the cover. You may want to tear it down and replace the springs and poppet balls and check it out thoroughly.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-20-2023 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks for all the advice on the shift tower. I pulled it apart and there was really no significant wear on any of the components. The rivets that hold the shift forks to the shift rods were kind of a sloppy fit, so I replaced them with the roll pins. Tightened everything up really nice. I mounted the tower to the transmission and also attached the 4x4 and hi/low shifters and everything shifts as it's supposed to. I'm amazed, lol. There is still a small gap between the second gear and the synchro sleeve when you shift to second but I think that the cut of the gears, that you mentions, bmorgil, should pull it tight when the gears are turning. Now to try and get the engine and tranny mounted back into the chassis. Small bites!

Awesome Cajun! Yes the gear cut will handle the rest. If it doesn't, the clutching gear teeth are worn out.

The engine, tranny/transfer case are back home in the chassis where they belong!! I actually feel like I'm making some good progress. Nice to see things come together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh man Cajun, grab the water jug and a crate and take it for a lap!

bmorgil, you don't know how bad I wanted to get it wired up and running!! I'm knocking out a little bit everyday that I'm home. I'll be off to work for a few weeks but I already have a list of things on my to-do list for when I get home.