Thread: New from Mexico - 1962 CJ5

New from Mexico - 1962 CJ5

Good morning all. I"m Canadian but located in central Mexico and last week bought a 1962 CJ5 Willys. Mechanically very sound for its age, lots of nuts and bolts on there that don't belong, many missing so the corrections start. I'll do all the mechanical work before cosmetics like paint. My shopping cart in Kaiser Willys is pretty full already for my first order... the biggest thing I see so far is that mine has that issue i've read about where the transmission slips out of 2nd gear when decelerating. Still need to pull the wheels and check brakes and such. This jeep is just for fun. - Gavin

Welcome to the Forum.

That is a fairly common problem and if you decide to fix it, you will end up learning a lot about the inner workings of that transmission - as well as just replacing seals while you're in there.

Post us a picture of the CJ - we love pictures!

Welcome Westerga!!!
    Get on YouTube and search for “Rick Stiver T90 rebuild” I just went through my T90 and Dana 18 transfer case and he is the best step by step to overhaul with the do’s and don’ts of the t90’s.
    Like Larry said post some pictures we love them!!!

D80D8D19-ED10-400A-8AEF-5FBA5003FD84.jpg43B46EF8-BEB6-4243-9EB9-26BD8AB2F4DA.jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 03-27-2021 at 05:29 AM.

Welcome! Not to worry Westerga, there are a few who can help you through the transmission. Slipping out of second gear or any gear, when you back off the throttle, is usually worn or broken clutching teeth on the gear. To fix it you will have to replace the gear and the mating sliding collar. All the parts are available for these transmissions and they are available completely rebuilt.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-27-2021 at 06:24 AM.

He really did get all of those pieces back in the housing!

Rule #9. Get bucket. Turn upside down. Sit awhile. Apply some thinking. Our variant on the measure twice cut once rule!

Welcome Westerga,

Usually if the 2nd/3rd gear synchronizers are worn excessively, or like Bmorgil stated the teeth on the gear itself are worn down will cause the 2nd gear pop out condition during deacceleration.

That sounds like a fun and challenging project.