Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Fire Jeep going up for Auction in Northwest Ohio

I have a heck of a time with my adjusters gm. I think something is amiss. Everything is new except the backing plates. I am not able to turn a cam top or bottom, and stop the drum. I can get close and get it to just touch and rub, but I cant get a real good pressure on the pad with the eccentric to stop the drum completely. In some cases I can just barely touch the shoes to the drum. I am beginning to wonder if I have a full set of undersized shoes and/or drums.

I switched mine to 11” of a pickup and they work great Bob

I am stuck on the original concept TJ. I was thinking better brakes but, the hell with it it is so close to completely original. I will just make sure I keep a football field between it and objects.

I was hoping gm would pop in and say "Oh Bob you just need to do this", and fix it for me!

I'd fix it for you, no sweat.... But not making solid contact is odd while turning the cams. The issue I have when the lock nut doesn't hold the cam perfectly tight while performing panic stops, is that they over tighten the cams to where the wheel wants to lock up. As with your set up, mine is all recently replaced items sans the backing plate. The next time I service/adjust the Heep, I will knock off all the old paint and crust from the backing plate, and apply some 242 Loctite thread locker to prevent things for loosening up.

Sounds like we need to mic the brake drum and the shoes at full extension and check the drum diameter with the stock side.

I was hoping gm would pop in and say "Oh Bob you just need to do this", and fix it for me!

Give him time he is probably looking something up as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Sounds like we need to mic the brake drum and the shoes at full extension and check the drum diameter with the stock side.
    Crap TJ.... gm gave me some nasty homework.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 03-30-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Just One More Thing to Do...

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Crap TJ.... gm gave me some nasty homework.
    As I said earlier in the week:

"I firmly believe that no matter how good an old Jeep looks to viewers, the owner always knows that there is just “one more” thing that needs to be improved on. "

Good enough won't do, it has to be perfect....

AS are we all.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 03-30-2021 at 09:00 AM.

In my case, I like the imperfection that is the body/tub, but it needs to run and stop as intended. It ain't pretty, but it will get you there.

Spring has sprung. Jeepers going banana with all these proclamations. Love it. Anybody who is completing actual work either needs to post up some mostly true story threads or post up some picture proofs!!! All this talk. C'mon people. Build build build!!!

Patience my good AZ. When the ball starts rolling, you'll be overloaded with rust and despair.