Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Fire Jeep going up for Auction in Northwest Ohio

Old Fire Jeep going up for Auction in Northwest Ohio

Check this out. Sealed auction starting at $10,000. Bidding till April 2nd. Nice old Willys. I wonder what it will go for? I am guessing well out of my budget!

https://www.13abc.com/2021/03/26/a-p...re-department/
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-27-2021 at 06:18 AM.

Fire Jeep

[QUOTE=bmorgil;16188]Check this out. Sealed auction starting at $10,000. Bidding till April 2nd. Nice old Willys. I wonder what it will go for? I am guessing well out of my budget!

It's nicer than many - but it's really a specialized collector item. No place to load up a bunch of Grandkids for ice cream.

Outside of anyone that has served in the fire service or a museum, there isn't much value to the average collector. $10,000 starting bid is a little steep unless you go into business filling swimming pools off the hydrant.

The right local business could park that thing out front as the coolest reminder of their community involvement ever, and way cheaper than a tv, radio, and social media campaign. Leave the fire department sign on it!

I think there looking for the "charity". The Go Fund Me page will be interesting. $10,000 would be a good come and get it price. It is 100% there and all operational. Including the Siren. They should have included the manufacture of the "Fire Jeep". Typically there was manufacturer of the fire truck so to speak. They would have received the Jeep and modified it. It would be good to supply that info.

I agree that the information on the company that built the fire fighting apparatus would be useful information to have. The second picture is of a Cj2A that once belonged to a volunteer fire department that went up for auction in the early '90s. If memory serves me, it was built by Alexis fire apparatus company. It went for around $1,000 to one of the firefighters to keep it in the "family". The first pictures is of a Dodge M37 that belonged to another volunteer fire department and was auctioned off for a good price. It was where I learned the fine art of double clutching and brake double pumps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    It was where I learned the fine art of double clutching and brake double pumps.
    Hahaha is that synonymous with no synchronizer's and leaky brakes!

Yep, Adapt and overcome. The transmission wasn't synchronized except for 3rd and 4th gear, but the brakes were notorious for needing the double pump. Hopefully by the time the Jeep Fest comes about, I'll get the new master bought and installed on the Heep to get more positive braking like the rest of you.

I am never going to get used to the classic huge (ha) drum brakes on these things! I love em cause they were there in 1950. There as good as new now and after a lot of bumping the brake adjustments, I am certain it is as good as it gets. I also think assured clear distance has a whole new meaning to me.

The drums on the M37 are just shy of semi truck/trailer size, except they are hydraulic instead of air. Huge wheel cylinders in comparison to the Willys. A little loctite on the adjuster nuts helps, because as tight as you dare, they do tend to loosen up when applying panic stops.