Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser Willy's Jeep Gladiator J300 Pickup Truck "Cindy" Resto Mod Thread

Looks better! Thanks bmorgil.

As soon as you go get it, lets see some pictures of the cylinder head AZ.You should take some pictures of the shop working on the motor and the shop where Cindy lies.

What kind of costs have you incurred on this thing now? It would be interesting to see what you have done so far and what it has cost.

few hundred bucks to source, ship, prep replacement standard head in runner condition:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boy that sounds like a good deal AZ.
    I need to pull the heads off the Orange Crate this winter and send them out to have them gone through. The company I bought the engine off of in Michigan (Fraser Engine Rebuilders) reassured me it was “completely rebuilt” but what they meant to say was it was “completely worn out” what a bunch of Crooks they were!!!

Az, were the valve seats reconditioned already or does your machine shop have to recondition the seats? I take it the shop is going to use the valves and such from the old head? So for a couple of hundred bucks you have a head casting ready to be assembled.

Just to be sure what you are doing here Az, you found a good (not cracked) cylinder head casting and have a shop doing the valve job and assembly for you? That is the way to go. How much is it going to cost you to get it running again? It shouldn't be long now, a valve job and back on the motor.

TJ, it could still be the same as your situation. Great seller, 30 years of builds for people, referred by a satisfied customer resto guy, and it arrived as described. Need to run it awhile when it gets back.

Bmorgil, debate about the valves resolved when they were not the same wear, so they all got replaced. One shop did the head. now it is back to my mechanic who oversees the reassembly.

Hopefully, home stretch. Ill post more when it happens

Let’s hope it’s not like mine, I could of built a blown LS V8 for what I ended up putting in mine after the Crooks in Michigan got done with me
    It sounds like your real close to getting Cindy on the road, keep us posted on your progress!!

Looking forward to it Az! It will be very interesting to see this happen. A cylinder head rebuild and replace is a common thing for classics. Your project is an excellent example of the classic "Valve Job" of old. When I was young, it was the first big maintenance item on your vehicle. At around 50 to 75,000 miles you usually had to do a valve job if you wanted it to run like new again. Then by 100,000 miles the rings were gone. So at 50,000 the valves and then at 100,000 it was usually time for a complete rebuild. Times have certainly changed as modern engines seem to run forever. Step us through the cost if you don't mind AZ. WE get a lot of questions on what to expect for costs.

Bmorgil, we sourced a replacement head for under $300.00, instead of a costly engine swap. Shipping was much less than we expected. Luckily the sender knew how to pack a pallet, saving that money, but did spend 75 for the forklift at both ends. Found a website where you take the weight (owners manual or spec manual), and it gives you selection of prices / companies for your shipment.

It looks amazing. Gives me a little boost of energy to keep working on mine.