Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser Willy's Jeep Gladiator J300 Pickup Truck "Cindy" Resto Mod Thread

1964 Kaiser Willys Jeep Gladiator J300 Pickup Truck "Cindy" Resto Mod Thread

Good Day Friends!

Welcome to my build thread.

Thank you forum leaders and members for all your help!

And thank you for reading. I'm writing this for you because this thread would have helped me during this build, and I didn't have it like it is presented here. We've got the "Resto Rules", Photo Albums for background, items related to Acquisitions, Builds, and the infamous, "Ole Fiver's Driving Skills Academy for People who Drive Kaiser Willy's Jeeps - Don't Fence Me In!!".

Hope you enjoy the ride. Let's get started!

This is a thread about "Cindy" - a completed truck build that is everything I aimed at, and done as done can be. Clocked me today at 64-67 mph on the freeway and dug out of a hole in 2Lo today too; has new air conditioning, heater, new roof carpet, new window tint, new alternator, new paint, new radiator, etc. See them pics!! So excited to be done, as much as is possible.

How's that? Cindy you say? Yep. She's got that name because I was in a carwash rinsing five years of filth off of a mountain jeep being gifted to a city grand daughter when suddenly I was in a jeep dealership checking out the new Jeep interiors. Why? Cause I wanted to see all the jeep offered packages, in case maybe I was gonna buy the new 2020 Jeep Gladiator pick up truck.

So they had a line of jeep about a mile long, all different trims, all open. I climbed through every color combination, every leather, cloth, two door four door, soft top, hardtop jeep variant I could see. Took hours.

Oh yeah, check in with the Mrs. I've been MIA for hours. Only went to the carwashes. Be right back honey. 4 hours later I text her 'hey Cindy, having fun in the Jeep, so many different ways we can do this!' okay. except my wife's name is not Cindy. Auto text, bruh. Not good. And she is none to pleased to hear of my fun times jeeps in any variety of ways not involving herself. So that gets sorted out with several efforts, phone calls, emogis, texts, pictures of jeeps, me with the jeeps, of the saleslady (not named Cindy).

Wife named whatever new Jeep I got "Cindy". I agree wholeheartedly.

For the story of Cindy, please read on ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 06-12-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Build Rules

1. We turn one bolt at a time. (Pelago, RIP)
    2. We like ice cream, going for ice cream, taking people to ice cream. It's all about the sweet stuff - enjoy the ride!
    3. Whatever Resto we do, it'll be what we aimed for, so it's ok to be surely satisfied.
    4. Whomever we do it for, they never react like we expect, especially if it's yourself. Do it anyway.
    5. Our Kaiser Willy's Jeep Restoration is way more important than money, less important than God & Country.
    6. We take care of family first, as intended, and our Resto will take care of us. Amen!
    7. We customize to our taste, regardless of what others tell you that you must do.
    8. About midnight oil, we all burn as much as our Willy's Jeep burns. Keep on chugging.
    9. Buckets. We all got one. Turn it upside down. Sit down. Think awhile. Our way of saying measure twice, cut once.
    10. Rule #9 is BS. Your gonna cut 50 times if you cut once. Use bucket as indicated in rule #9, adding suds and smokes. Remember: Improvise. Adapt. Overcome..
    11. We post pictures of our builds, the good the bad, and the ugly.
    12. Though the Internet is forever, sometimes it's not. Download, backup, and print what you love.
    13. There ain't one. Especially on Fridays. You know why. We are all of us superstitious!!!
    14. Fences are put up to be Parking Block Twerkers, heard from a friend..
    15. Give your Jeep 5 minutes, road time before deciding anything. Gives the gunk time to ungunk itself.
    16. What's on your Jeep is on your Jeep. Inconceivable? That word does not mean what you think it means.
    17. If you don't exercise your morals, if you ignore what your momma taught ya, no self respecting Jeep Truck will have you either. You simply can't cheat the build.
    18. Moral of the story, buy good parts once.
    19. Gotta love "Made in USA". They are high quality.
    20. Time well spent on a sunny day. Making hay while the sun is shinning so to speak.
    21. Never heard the one about LarrBeard, gmwillys and bmorgil helping The Gizz do the shady tree pookey?? Look no further than rye-ch'ere: https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...lock-off-plate
    22. Since we are all cooking with gas and the heat looks like it's here to stay, this Az shareout: moving air feels cooler, shade, especially the kind before sunrise, is wonderful, a wet rag rub on our varicose veins works, replace our wipers twice during summer due to dry rot, the absence of gunk due to evaporated equals the presence of holes due to desiccated especially when camouflaged in dust, red skin flash equals heat brain stupidity equals bellicose equals stop and liquefy, better yet load up day prior and carry our water in our carcass,, and last if we need more moisture on our soft or wets so does our KW Jeep. Be cool out there Jeepers!

:: to be added as we go! these are all from forum members so i take a liberty to copy and paste when i see a good one, pm me if it needs an edit or a credit and ill take care of it):
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 06-27-2021 at 01:18 PM.

The Backstory - Beginnings, Middles, and the Never Ending Build

My foot hit the clutch, in a CJ, for the first time, in the '78 or 80, in junior or high school. Stalled it. Man, from that moment, it was on!

I purchased my first new vehicle: a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Doing 90 mph on an LA Freeway, without getting killed or caught (RIP Jerry Jeff Walker), listening to Door's LA Woman - pure freedom!

Bought a 2002 Jeep Liberty 2x4. Nice. Smelled good the one time I drove it when I paid the man. The future wife drove it a couple years.

Bought a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4X4. Best Jeep for the money I've ever driven. That thing went from sea level to the top of 11,000 foot mountains on dirt, gravel cinder, pavement, highway, and freeway across most of the western US. Loved that thing. Campable, Sleepable, datenightable. Perfect Jeep vehicle.

Drove an old Jeep Cherokee work truck for many thousands of miles. Went fine pushing snow coming up over the hood; went fine racing tumbleweeds along dusty red dirt tracks; parked nice in the big city. Learned how capable these are stock. Also learned tires matter.

Bought a 88 Jeep Comanche Long Bed Pickup Truck. First day, after it got off the out of state in bound hauler truck, and serviced, I then immediately tested compression. It idled up a mountain two track 4Lo w no gas pedal, the kind of deal where you can't see the top of, or the bottom of, when your in the middle of the hill. Idled up it!!!! 6 cyl, 5spd peugeot transmission, cloth interior variety. Great, great truck.

Bought a 2011 Jeep Liberty Limited 4X4. Beautiful. Indestructible. But it had that new tech gadgetry on there. Constant nightmare. Truck was great, tech sucked, wife not happy.

(My resto begins with these thoughts...)

#1) I won't support technologies misapplied. I'll never buy a half computer, half car again, until the electro jeeps come out. That I'll do because we understand electro. IMO, we do not have the capacity to understand this tech, nor can we maintain it, nor can we control it, so we orphan it, we underutilize it, we over apply it when not necessary. Tech for tech's sake is just a bad idea poorly implemented. Won't be party to it. The reasons for my build!

#2) In 2004 I saw the new Jeep pickup ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 04-04-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Rule #13. Though the Internet is forever, sometimes it's not. Download, backup, and print what you love.

I am truly looking forward to watching this thread come back together. Cindy is a great story! Now the Fence? And where did this statement come from? "Tech for tech's sake is just a bad idea"? I need clarification on why you have to put a gizmo glitter tach in Cindy again?

80's in high school... a yungun' you are Az!

Can you explain how to keep an engine from stalling when it wont idle in downtown traffic with a stick shift? I heard you could.

[QUOTE=bmorgil;16209]Rule #13. Though the Internet is forever, sometimes it's not. Download, backup, and print what you love.

Rule #14 Fences are put up to be Parking Block Twerkers, heard from a friend
    Last edited by TJones; 03-28-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Looking forward to revisit this great story.

Oh my God, TJ said "Twerkers"!

Az please post pictures of the "Fence" and "Gravel pit". I think you should create a go to post on how your brakes came to fruition, and your AC install went, and your throttle control came about, and the oil clean ups, and the "pipe laying" bed liner and cap, and what an RPM is, and why you don't care, and why we need oil... I have a few more, I don't want to overwhelm you you may "Choke" the motor.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-28-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Funny people on here... Okay so I'll add rules as we go in the rule item. I'm wondering if I should put names next to them... Would people be embarrassed or happy if it said rule # blah blah blah (screen name)?

Think I'm gonna do topics like you suggested. That seems solid. I like the idea of timeline, but these builds are so disjointed, maybe use a date stamp topic item, like "Brakes", to show that 'part' of the brake return took 4 months, so any new person reading like I did without logging in or signing up can see that we got 99 problems and the build is most of them, as the saying goes, and they all happen overlapping. So my brake deal took this long but at the same time everything brakes is in one item... Who knows?!!

All builds have a couple things in common. So those would be topics. (Build concept, Vehicle acquisition, initial assessment of needs, budget LOL, order of build, starting, running driving, stopping, specifics: engine, brakes, transamission, etc) Each topic is put into one item, and each step I took is date stamped in order as we go, so for my build all topics are digestible, in one spot.

Also a pointer item, to the other threads where knowledge is already there (first start? Take a look see over here ....)

Anyway, I'll post it and see what we think. As we learned, deleting the whole thing is now always an option!

It will be better than ever. Az did your total number of posts change? It shows you have 427 posts. I think it was much more than that. It looks like your post count reflects the lost posts. I think your total posts count dropped.

Bmorgil, I thought that was a scale and must be losing weight. Huh. Thought I joined Christmas Eve 2018. So that could be part of the mystery. If somebody reset the binoculars to a date after I started the Cindy thread, it wouldn't "see" that thread at all. As long as I'm still here, I'm posting, the thread count will be back to egyptians cotton level very soon!