Thread: Greetings from the desert southwest (Arizona)

Greetings from the desert southwest (Arizona)

Not new to jeeps but new to this forum...been enjoying CJ5's since the 60's and finally purchased mine new in 70. Such a great vehicle...just like so many new vehicles are purchased, just went to the local dealer to have a look and they had a nice new one just sitting there that was ordered but not picked up. For a good deal, we bought it and as soon as I left the dealership and shifted into second, I knew I had a great vehicle. Of course I knew of the dauntless V6 but was surprised at the 4.88 gearing I discovered when I looked at the tag on the rear dif. In that first week I purchased a warn overdrive and slapped it on the back of the transfer case (last year one could do this as most of you know). Being an engineer I also immediately did a plot of all my gearing (RPM vs speed) from 1st low to 3rd high and was equally surprised there was no "overlap" in the gears...fantastic!! I have enjoyed this jeep shifting thru the gears using the OD, all its life as I have always loved close ratio transmissions. Long story shortened, this wonderful jeep has stayed with me through 3 marriages, been in Israel with me for a year in 1978 to remote Red Sea diving spots, never subjected to any adverse weather conditions so body and mechanics are solid regarding rust n such.

yawl take care, look forward to sharing...

cheers,

willie

Welcome willie
    Share some pictures when you can, we love pictures.

[QUOTE=botnew;16264] In that first week I purchased a warn overdrive and slapped it on the back of the transfer case (last year one could do this as most of you know). Being an engineer I also immediately did a plot of all my gearing (RPM vs speed) from 1st low to 3rd high and was equally surprised there was no "overlap" in the gears...fantastic!!

Very cool Willie! I absolutely love the engineering addiction! Haaa "I plotted the gears", hilarious. Something I so understand. No need just want to know thing. I love it Willie. You have the greatest stories with that one, it has traveled and worked with you for decades. One of a kind experience you have here.

Member 5JeepsAz is going to be hurt financially when he realizes how well that OD gets the job done. He is wanting more speed at a lower RPM in his truck.

Welcome Willie!

Great back story on your bought new CJ5. We look forward to seeing your global CJ adventures in pictures, and reading more about your life.

Welcome! What a great story so far - what's the immediate next fix? Love your Jeep already, but we need picture!!

The pictures in your album through the years are great! That is one clean 5!

Thank you all for your kind words! as noted, have a few pics in my album. For those of you that have seen those pics, you might have noticed in the current version, a "slightly" non original set of headers. Back in 1987 I had some extra cash so I pulled the original dauntless V6 (was still running fine but seemed a little tired, still have it of course) and purchased a new even fire 231 that bolted right in. I added an RV camshaft, edelebrock performer intake, HEI, small holley 4bbl and headers. Gosh what a nice combo. I as well replaced the steering system with an S10 steering box upfront. I also replaced the fuel tank and radiator after it sat for an extended period of time. I had some aftermarket SW gauges in but decided I really liked the originality of the fuel and temp gauges in the cluster so went back to them. Further on the drivetrain, I am torn between upgrades and leaving it stock as it is a good driver as it is.

cheers,

willie

I did notice the headers. I like your thought process, and your execution of the mods. Direct bolt ins gives you the option to go back in with the Dauntless without much fuss. In my opinion, I would keep the rest of the drive line stock if all is well.

That sounds like a fun new project for you! Welcome