Thread: Here is what came out of my 1960 Wagon's Fuel tank today!

Here is what came out of my 1960 Wagon's Fuel tank today!

After repetitive problems trying to get fuel from the main tank to the fuel pump, I took the tank off again and removed the fuel gage sending unit so I could get a better look! Well I was surprised to find this inside the tank filter on the end of the fuel pickup tube. Took a little bit, but I was able to rake it off using a piece of old brake line. Looks like some kind of metal screen filter, and all stopped up. Also ran a piece of stiff wire and some berryman's thru the tube a few times and now have good airflow. Will have to get a new gasket before re-installing the sending unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel filters in the tank seem like a good idea until you realize that if they do their job, sooner or later, they are going to clog and need replacement.

I'd suggest you add a new filter between the fuel pump and carburetor. Many fuel pumps do not "suck" as well as they "pump" and adding a restriction between the tank and the pump may cause new fuel feed issues.

When you put the sender back in the tank, make sure you get a good ground to the frame - don't depend on the tank mounting bolts to complete your fuel gauge circuit.

The pickup tube and filter screen are looking real bad there. It is a good idea to replace that pickup assembly on a used tank. It will keep the big stuff out of the pump. It needs to be a screen. As has been written here before, a filter between the tank and pump is not a good idea. As Larry says above be sure there is one between the pump and the carb.

That is great advice from both of you! I have a filter before the pump but sounds like I may have to move it. Thanks

A screen between the pump and tank is common. I cant think of any factory set ups that don't use a screen at the pickup. Not a filter, but a screen. You don't want any restriction on the suction side.