Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 Toledo Jeep Fest is on!

The lead Jeep in the parade was "Speedy"; a lady who is a WWII reenactor. Speedy (the Jeep) was arguably the oldest Jeep in the parade, and as appropriate, she led the parade behind the sponsors and the mini-Jeep.

As a re-enactor, she is an Army Signal Corps 1st Lieutenant whose specialty is photography. Her Jeep, which is a WWII era authentic Jeep (examined and attested to by GMWillys) has the name "Speedy" on the cowl in script reminiscent of the script on the Speed Graphic camera she uses both in her reenactor legend as well as her actual real-life photography.

Speedy (the Jeep) was arguably the oldest Jeep in the parade, and as appropriate, she led the parade behind the sponsors and the mini-Jeep.

Now, since she is a helpless female in her WWII role, she has to be protected. So, someone assigned a Sergeant as her bodyguard and he follows her around with his M1 Garand (replica...). He claims to be ready to be done with this babysitting detail and get to Berlin - he has silk stockings in his gas mask case, but the chocolate melted. (Again, totally in character.)

We never figured out just how to explain her daughter (dressed in WWII era clothes) as part of the persona. Maybe she is one of several French orphans or a refugee?

Speedy (Jeep and character) was featured in the KWAS Catalog a year or so ago - and she contributes a great deal to the Jeep Fest!

Follow this link to see her story in the KWAS Blog:

https://blog.kaiserwillys.com/speedy...living-history
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 08-09-2021 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Added information

That lady is Betsy Bashore and you can read about her on page 4 of the Kaiser Willys 2021 catalog and the June 2020 Jeep life blog. She was sure serious about the reenactment. Her whole crew stayed in character, and the young girl even repeated honks in Morse code!

https://blog.kaiserwillys.com/speedy...living-history

For some reason the pic's are small. I cant seem to enlarge them.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-08-2021 at 05:47 PM.

So happy for you guys!

Way to represent. You guys are first in line after the cut-ins!!!

Cars and forum people looking great! All three at 10:24

https://vimeo.com/584598667
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 08-08-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Made it bigger bmorgil
    I hope

Nice Az! I haven't been able to find that footage. The Jeeps in front of us are all the sponsors. Money first! The amount of sponsors was tremendous. A lot of money went into this one. The KW crew (with KW flags flying) was right behind the go-kart that lead the parade participants. We were right up front. So many people. This doesn't even show how much activity there was. A lot of things going on at once. So many people and food and Jeep things to see. A great time to say the least!

Drop Rachel or Amy a PM and see if you can get a KW flag! You never know what those ladies might do if they get enough requests. The KW flags we had were the highest quality I have used. If we can get Mike to buy them a plane ticket, I think KW would be right at home in the fest.

Looking forward to next year, and hoping KW sends a Jeep and a couple of drivers next year!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-09-2021 at 09:44 AM.

I agree with Bmorgil. Everyone at Kaiser Willys set us up with a great swag package to represent their brand, and some good stuff to give away. It was a great event, and even better weather. Thank you again to Bmorgil for hosting, LarrBeard and TJones for coming. We all had a great time!

I sent Miss Amy all the pictures we took and the ones everyone else took, so maybe she’ll post them up or even start a new post for the Jeep Fest!!!!

We left the Owens-Corning lot, went up a block, turned left a block and then turned right. That put us in the heart of downtown Toledo. There were literally thousands of people standing along the street, three or four deep in places.

When we turned up that block, people started clapping, cheering and whistling - the experience was humbling to say the least.

Thanks Toledo - you know how to throw a party!

All those people cheering and waving was definitely a humbling experience! It sent a chill down me when I turned that corner. They do love Jeeps here!