Thread: Hello All

Hello All

This is my first thread, by way of an introduction. I’ve had a ‘49 CJ3A since about 2003. I recently acquired an M38 frame and body tub and would like to restore the Jeep into a Korean War era M38 in USN Livery. I would really like to hear from anyone that has done something similar in the past. Thanks in advance for your advice and assistance.

Welcome DNavy! That is a big project for sure! You will definitely have a cool Jeep when your done. I originally wanted to restore a Korean War era Jeep. My Father served and survived Korea. I ended up with a CJ3A which I love. A true Military Jeep is loaded with detail. You will have your homework cut out for you! I cant wait to watch you grow this one. This will be very neat to watch. Post lots of pictures. I think any Jeep you own is going to work!

Welcome DezertNavy,

Since you have the frame, you are well on your way to an M38 project. The hard parts to come up with that are Military specific are mainly located on the frame, (machine gun pedestal mount/voltage regulator mount/grill hinge mounts/and mid frame tie down points) and if you have an existing frame, the rest is just piece parts. Enclosed are some photos of an M38 that I had acquired in pieces. This particular frame had the machine gun pedestal mount cut off some time in the past.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's one interesting project! I'm personally looking to get this CJ3B project

Recreating an M38

Quote Originally Posted by DezertNavy View Post
    This is my first thread, by way of an introduction. I’ve had a ‘49 CJ3A since about 2003. I recently acquired an M38 frame and body tub and would like to restore the Jeep into a Korean War era M38 in USN Livery. I would really like to hear from anyone that has done something similar in the past. Thanks in advance for your advice and assistance.
    One of the biggest tasks in recreating an original M38 will be duplicating the 24-volt electrical system. The major components are available, but expensive. You will have to decide just how deeply the re-creation will go.

I always have a soft spot for restorations that are as close to original as possible, but if you only have a frame and tub, it may end up as a CJ/M38 hybrid.

Hybrids (not gas/electric vehicles) are great and they are sometimes the best solution to a project.

Good luck, let us know how you go about this.

Thanks for the replies. I know it'll be a big project, but I'm anxious to get started. I'll add some pictures soon.