Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer case disassembly

Transfer case disassembly

I am finally turning my attention back toward the CJ3A. When I got distracted I was trying to disassemble the transfer case to replace the bearings. Is there a trick to getting the center shaft out? I removed the lock tab and beat on it some with a big hammer and a brass punch. It refused to move but I didn’t get too aggressive for fear of breaking the case. I wanted to ask before I tear it up.
    Thanks.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

No trick 52 CJ3 other than, it is driven out to the rear. Heat should not be required. I use a large diameter brass drift and a large hammer. It is possible a prior repair may have used loc-tite as a sealer on the shaft. If that is suspected, some heat would break the bond. Other than that I have had good success with a few hard raps.

I couldn’t get it with a hammer and punch even with heat. Ruined a good brass punch though. It had to go to the press which had it out in seconds. Bearings and shaft are pretty chewed up.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

It sounds like you might have had some water in there Jeff. Wow that thing was stuck. I have a brass drift just slightly smaller than the shaft. You can hit it pretty good without damage. I have never had one stuck that bad!

Ira would have said to get a Bigger FH

Here’s a Great Series of videos on YouTube to reassembly on the Dana 18 Jeff

https://youtu.be/3-2TgW2hE_w

It did have water in it as did the transmission and front differential. The previous owner was a kid who thought it was fun to play in the river but never gave a thought about maintaining his ride. I haven’t opened the Rearend yet because I ran out of bench space. The yokes were wore out at the seals and oil poured out as fast as I could pump it in. The output shaft is next. I smacked it with a heavy mallet a few of times last night but it wouldn’t move either.

Thanks for the video link.

Here is a picture of the intermediate shaft and one of the bearings:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 04-28-2021 at 07:37 AM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Getting it. Had to use the press again. Bearings are stuck on the shaft. Tornado warning slowing progress now.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Beware the Tornado! I will try to make you feel better and say, I have definitely seen much worse than that. Mine was pretty bad. About all of the internals had to be replaced. Even my transmission case left me. Half the fun is checking it out I think. If you find good parts all the better!

Tornadoes gone for now. Back work. I got the bearing cups out but the transfer case front output shaft bearing is seized in place. I managed to rip the bearing cage off of it but the race is still on the shaft. I can’t get any pullers on it and I tried heat on the bearing part along with trying to freeze the shaft but no joy. I thought I would ask before I spend the time with the dremel cutting it out. Any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A