Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 47 cj2a

47 cj2a

New guy here. I have acquired a 47 CJ2a and have reduced it to a shop full of parts. Intent on a frame off and mostly original except where it might make sense for a modern touch.

The frame was badly hokied up by some guys attempt at a new bumper and winch mount that weighed about 75 pounds. Now repairing the front of the frame.

Starting overhaul of the various components and first is the steering box however I need to know how to remove the outer tube. No doubt many have seen this. Your help is appreciated.

Don Wilson

A shop full of parts is a really good starting place.

GMWillys knows how to get that tube off ...

The outer tube is clamped on at the bottom to the box. There is a clamp and bolt assembly.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-27-2021 at 04:20 PM.

I understand your plight with the front bumper/frame hack. On our 2A, it had a 4" piece of well casing for a front bumper, and the front frame rails were scabbed over with scrap metal for reinforcement. I had a spare frame that was roached in the center of the frame. I cut the front frame horns off at the radiator crossmember and spliced it into my existing frame.

Bmorgil has you covered on the steering column outer tube.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I have purchased new front frame parts and I am going to fix the frame with those parts.

The steering column tube has been missing the bolt for who knows how long. The tube simply rotates where it is attached. I sometimes have a habit of forcing things to my will so I do not want to screw this up.

No problem!

The new frame steel isn't a bad plan at all. I just so happened to have a spare frame that was rotten in the middle. I like to salvage all that I can from the too far gone Heeps to use all the original parts I can so a Willys can live on, even if it is just pieces.

If the bolt is missing for the steering column tube will cause the tube to spin around. Just for kicks, I added a link to KW's video on rebuilding the steering box just to point out that there are video resources out there.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...3b-5-m38-m38a1

47CJ

Have not done much lately, my arthritis (spine and hips) has slowed me down. Started pressure washing the frame yesterday. Doe anyone know what detergent or other compound I can get to help soften 75 years of grease mud and who knows what else.

Also should I remove the pumpkin from the axle housing to avoid getting water in the gears. So many questions!

Thanx
    Don Wilson

Welcome back Don, this getting Old isn't for Sissy's as I am learning as I get older!!!

I just use the "Foaming Spray Gunk"on my stuff if you don't have a steam cleaner, as far as the pumpkin it is all sealed up especially if it is covered with 75 years of grease and mud like the rest is. You can always pull the cover and check it when you are all done pressure washing everything, which isn't a bad idea anyway if you haven't pulled the cover already just to make sure it has all the gears and is not full of water from sitting.

Keep the questions coming Don and some pictures!!!

There are a few ways to clean them up that's for sure. I start at it like TJ, cans of Gunk and then a hot water pressure wash. I also use Tide granular and a scrub brush on a pole. After the wash I would say no matter what remove the cover, look things over and check the backlash. Clean it out as best you can and seal it back up, or it is a good time for a rebuild if it needs it.

Sam's sells store brand industrial strength oven cleaner. I used it on the 2A a few weeks back on the underside. The three pack of cleaner was around $10. After letting it sit for a half hour, and blasting it with a light duty cold pressure washer resulted with all the grime removed, along with a great deal of the top color coat of paint, leaving the primer. The cleaner did loosen up the sprayed on undercoating.

A zip lock bag and a zip tie over the differential vent will keep any water out while washing.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 08-12-2021 at 09:09 PM.