Thread: 47 cj2a

47 cj2a

New guy here. I have acquired a 47 CJ2a and have reduced it to a shop full of parts. Intent on a frame off and mostly original except where it might make sense for a modern touch.

The frame was badly hokied up by some guys attempt at a new bumper and winch mount that weighed about 75 pounds. Now repairing the front of the frame.

Starting overhaul of the various components and first is the steering box however I need to know how to remove the outer tube. No doubt many have seen this. Your help is appreciated.

Don Wilson

A shop full of parts is a really good starting place.

GMWillys knows how to get that tube off ...

The outer tube is clamped on at the bottom to the box. There is a clamp and bolt assembly.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-27-2021 at 04:20 PM.

I understand your plight with the front bumper/frame hack. On our 2A, it had a 4" piece of well casing for a front bumper, and the front frame rails were scabbed over with scrap metal for reinforcement. I had a spare frame that was roached in the center of the frame. I cut the front frame horns off at the radiator crossmember and spliced it into my existing frame.

Bmorgil has you covered on the steering column outer tube.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I have purchased new front frame parts and I am going to fix the frame with those parts.

The steering column tube has been missing the bolt for who knows how long. The tube simply rotates where it is attached. I sometimes have a habit of forcing things to my will so I do not want to screw this up.

No problem!

The new frame steel isn't a bad plan at all. I just so happened to have a spare frame that was rotten in the middle. I like to salvage all that I can from the too far gone Heeps to use all the original parts I can so a Willys can live on, even if it is just pieces.

If the bolt is missing for the steering column tube will cause the tube to spin around. Just for kicks, I added a link to KW's video on rebuilding the steering box just to point out that there are video resources out there.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...3b-5-m38-m38a1