Thread: Idling High

Idling High

I have a 1957 Willys CJ-5 with the straight 4 hurricane engine. Lately it has been idling very high and would like some guidance on how to fix it. After a cold start and the choke is fully back in, it'll idle very close to what should be normal. But after warm and driving it around, it will idle very fast. Last fall I put in new spark plugs, cleaned the entire air intake/oil bath assembly, and also flushed the oil; (drained old oil, filled with new oil, ran it for 30 minutes, drained again, then filled with additive and full synthetic.)

D66, you may want to look for a vacuum leak. They can be hard to find, but spray some carb cleaner around the intake surfaces and carb base. Listen for changes in the idle. Look for any cracked hoses. Sometimes a crack can open up when things get warm. A loose or failing gasket really starts to show up as the engine warms.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    D66, you may want to look for a vacuum leak. They can be hard to find, but spray some carb cleaner around the intake surfaces and carb base. Listen for changes in the idle. Look for any cracked hoses. Sometimes a crack can open up when things get warm. A loose or failing gasket really starts to show up as the engine warms.
    Thanks for the tips. I did recently change the upper and lower radiator hose and do a flush, but it was idling high before that. It doesn't stall/flood as much as it did before I did the mini tune up, but I'll check out the leak suggestion.

Is there an easy way to adjust the carb? Couldn't figure out exactly which screw it might be if there is one.

I am not sure what carb you have but there are two adjustments to make. The idle speed and the idle mixture. The idle speed adjustment will be on the throttle plate (the piece the throttle linkage hooks to). The mixture screw will be near the base of the carburetor.