Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My horn is still great... but my carburetor isn't!

My horn is still great... but my carburetor isn't!

Hello all
    I thought of adding this to my combination "what to do with brake shoes" and my horn-related posts (whoops almost said "horny") but decided to create a new thread.

Back when I got my 3B to run, I had added that India-made Solix style carburetor. It's been running but never too great and always ran rich. Now I've got a horrible backfiring problem. It's so bad it just won't run at all. I've checked EVERYTHING and I'm running out of possibilities, at least within my knowledge base in my faltering brain.
    I've not been too happy with it so I decided to rebuilt my Carter carburetor just to rule things out.
    It was fairly straightforward and I bought a rebuilt kit made by Walker Products. It came with two small black seals that only can go on the accelerator pump linkage, the flat rod that goes down into through the bowl. One was thin, and one was THICK! I have no clue what these were for... dust protection?? Both my old Carters didn't have it. I put in the small one. Does anyone know if these were necessary and if I used the correct one?
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Either will work. There are two in there because two different ones were used depending on the serial number. It doesn't matter which one you use as long as you used one.

I actually used my horn today too! It is great against stoplight texters. Have to remember the old double tap for maximum effects and historicity. Now, my truck misses bmorgil. That's because the minute he started talking about vacuuming issues, high idle mushy brakes, my truck developed them. I did spray the clutch lever to prevent creaking though.

Cindy knows I care.

Thanks bmorgil!!
    Is that piece just a dust/debris seal? Both my old carbs didn't have one so I'm assuming (bad to assume) that it was added later?
    Believe it or not, I've never rebuilt a carburetor so this will be my "Carb Man" debut today.

I think the forum needs a section for just horn stories!. I like them. Mine too was perfect for the moron staring at his phone when the signal turned left. My low tone "meep meep" did the trick too!!

Just a dust cover Mark. It is not shown on the illustrations. I am guessing it was added later. Probably a service fix for crap getting in there.

I never get to use my horn because by the time I get moving everyone else is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Just a dust cover Mark. It is not shown on the illustrations. I am guessing it was added later. Probably a service fix for crap getting in there.

I never get to use my horn because by the time I get moving everyone else is gone!
    Same here. By the time I'm across the intersection, everyone jostling for pole position and gone around me!

I've noticed that after driving my jeep now, after the 25 year "break" that people are more impatient behind me. Some notice that I'm driving a vintage vehicle but others don't! They have no clue that it's three times their age... they just need to GO FASTER than me. A-holes!

So I mounted the carburetor, anxious to start it and see if I was a success or failure. After a few times, it started but after a minute I smelled GAS. It was leaking heavily from somewhere underneath and running onto the getting-hot head. I shut it off and inspected the carburetor. It appeared to be coming from the base which I had inspected/cleaned throughly before the rebuild. I took it back apart and just swapped it out with another I had. Started it... same dang leak!! I removed the carburetor, with the gas in the bowl still and shook it a little. It was spewing out the linkage port. Tomorrow I'll take the top off and inspect my float (I did check it as well) and the valve. Somethings sticking. I got enough gas on my for today!

This is great. Same people following me. Just a total shift in the world. If its a big leak, you'll find it!

The carburetor leak is gone. It was such a stupid mistake that I'm afraid to say what it was! I'll just say I put something where something else should have been, and vice versa!
    However my backfiring issue is still there. It won't idle well at all again, and once it warms up, the explosions begin out the tailpipe.
    The damn thing WAS running ok but I decided to do a preventative maintenance tune up on it: plugs, wires, cap, condenser, points, rotor, etc. I've double and triple checked all the latter.
    The timing was fine before but I tried to adjust it yesterday with no change but actually worse performance.
    I've been lucky all these years with the jeep and never really ever had engine issues that I couldn't solve by just tweaking/listening/feeling.
    As some of you know, my smarter-than-me friend helped me to determine the jeep has a cracked exhaust valve. Can that cause a sudden backfiring issue after driving it awhile? It ran surprisingly well when I got it going a few months ago. I was planning on driving it just time to time as I fixed things, then get to the engine after some other important issues, like the brakes. Stopping is nice.
    Could the exhaust valve have broken even more causing a too high amount of mixture to ignite in the tailpipe? Driving it previously there was a little less horse power and I could smell the difference in the exhaust but it actually that noticable.
    Be gentle on me!!

Check compression. If you are losing to and igniting fuel in the exhaust system, then that valve may be gone. I would recommend a differential compression test so the leak can be traced if there is one.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A