Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My horn is still great... but my carburetor isn't!

If the compression test comes back within tolerance when warm, then we may need to revisit the firing order. The way I'm reading the steps taken to this point is that the backfire happened after the tune up? You had previous running issues that were fuel related before, but now that the carb is correct, the ignition is suspect.

We won't pick fun at swapping or leaving out parts. It happens to the best of us. A very competent rifle builder bought everything to build himself an AR several years back. He worked and polished everything to the way he likes his weapons to run. He took it out to the test bench behind his house and loaded a mag half full. He touched the trigger, and the rifle unloaded the mag on full auto. Long story short, don't forget the sear spring. He found that he had forgotten it on the bench.

C'mon, confess ...

"It was such a stupid mistake that I'm afraid to say what it was!"

Come on and tell us. If you made it, we're all going to be in a place to do the same thing if you don't warn us.

All of us have this story; "There was this one time I was working on the Jeep when ............................ ."

Agree! What happened? Spill it out! With pictures, man!

I had the needle "seat" pin flipped the wrong way... it was up against the float instead of where it should have been... seating!
    I don't know what I was thinking. It should have been obvious that the pointy end with the back rubbery part would be the seat. So the bowl was just filling up to the brim and spewing out.
    "It's just a flesh wound..."
    Last edited by Mark J; 05-07-2021 at 01:06 PM.

I did a compression check last night. And... here we go!

And, finally at #1 (which I now remember was where we determined it was the location of the bad/cracked/broken exhaust valve all those years ago)
    35 !!!
    I think the valve just broke completely, but maybe a spring broke? The thing will run briefly before it warms up and starts backfiring and I don't hear any rattling noises from the engine, as if the valve head broke off.

Ultimately I should do a complete valve job, but I just can't take on that task now. I do have spare old (good) exhaust valves and springs.
    So I'd like to just replace the one valve, just to keep the darn thing running for the summer, while I fix other things. That way I can still get all the smiles from the pretty ladies seeing my "cute" jeep.
    I did rebuild one engine many years ago with a little help. Unfortunately it only lasted a year when a rod broke, while driving on the freeway. I remember hearing a horrible metallic breaking sound, pulling over and lifting my hood so see a hole in the side of the block, a broken bell housing and starter motor dangling. The engine was still running!
    Nevertheless, I believe I can take on the task of a single valve job.
    Let's see... I'll need a new head gasket, something to hone (I have some friends with that stuff), and I probably should order a new set of head bolts. I've had one break off years ago and that was a royal pain in the *** to repair!
    Last edited by Mark J; 05-07-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Thats a sure boring confession. Glad you corrected yourself with a blowed up engine story in the next post. That must have been something.

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Thats a sure boring confession. Glad you corrected yourself with a blowed up engine story in the next post. That must have been something.
    Well I'm glad my confession was boring! That's a good thing.

Yes it was rather exciting driving on the freeway - screaming along at 50mph, headed up to the mountains - then suddenly hearing the sound and actually FEELING metal pieces hitting the underside of the floorboard. That was at least 35 years ago now. My current block is the replacement for that event and it basically ran until the valve issue when I parked it back in 1995. I'm surprised it actually ran for a number of times I drove it in the last few months, getting it up/running and legal - after numerous trips to the damn DMV and then to CHP for the new ID plates.
    So I'll now be doing what I hope will be an uneventful valve job on this CJ3B soon.

Pulling the head should reveal the problem. Please post a picture of what you find.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I think I found the problem...

Should I start a new thread for all the questions I may have? Or change my original title to "Not a carb but a valve!" ?
    Or just keep it going here?
    I've already got questions, but watching a YouTube video first before I start whining...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark J; 05-11-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks for the pictures. I think you are lucky it was just a small piece instead of the whole thing. That piece probably went out the tailpipe when it let go but I would have a good look at the cylinder wall just in case.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A