Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My horn is still great... but my carburetor isn't!

And more to my last post...
    So it wasn't my alternator! But I have a new one anyway. The old one was 40 years old so it was bound to go out, right? (Everyone say yes please)
    I also learned that an impact wrench does a wonderful job of removing the pulley nut. The new one had a single pulley so I had to stick my old one on.
    So it's my dang water pump. I think the whining it made sort of reverberated back against the engine block. New pump arriving today.
    In the meantime I learned how to adjust my exhaust valves thanks, in part, to a great video posted by someone on the 3B forum. It was quite easy. The hardest part was shoving the cover plate aside for clearance. The new valve clearance was too tight. It's perfect now. One other was needed adjustment and the other two were fine.
    It's amazing how well this jeep is running now. I'm almost hesitant!

Very good to hear Mark! The 3B forum and the 3A forum, as well as the g503 forum are all excellent sources. I will say on the 3A L134 it is much easier to set the valves on the engine stand! It is tough to get to the middle when its tucked away.

Cheap insurance on the alternator Mark. I say yes!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-12-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Squeal Like a Pig ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post

And more to my last post... (Everyone say yes please)

It's amazing how well this jeep is running now. I'm almost hesitant!
    Yes, Please.

You've gotten your money's worth out of a 40-year old alternator, replacing it is a pre-emptive strike against a brown out at an inconvenient time.

All of us know the hesitancy about being too pleased once we get them running well. You kind of wait for the next shoe to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    You kind of wait for the next shoe to drop.
    Where does that shoe drop from?!?!? I would like to cut off the head of that snake!

Another shoe dropped!!!
    So... I was "FOR SURE" it was now the water pump. I had removed the belt and the noise stopped. It originally sounded like the alternator but when It wasn't - it had to have been the water pump.
    Sooooo the new pump arrived yesterday and installed it today. Got it all in, added new radiator fluid again and fired it up...
    Well CRAP the squealing was there, but "less squeally."
    Hmmm I never thought maybe the 40 year old belt might be making a hissy fit. I never thought of the obvious; it looked ok - no cracks but shiny as heck on the inside. I think it lost its grip!
    One good thing here. The water pump was leaking slightly and I could definitely feel a LOT of resistance on the pulley.
    So there's my Wednesday story. New parts all working. And I got the belt just now and will install it soon.
    I wonder which shoe will drop next???

Ha the darn belt!

The next time if you suspect a belt is making noise, rub a little bar soap on it wherever you can touch it on the side. It wont take much. If it shuts right up you found the squeaker.

Am I too late for celebrations and aye yes please I'll drink another lemonade? What happend?

Losing mind.
    Installed NEW belt and my "whirring" sound is STILL THERE. There's nothing left! Can a new alternator have a bad bearing? Even my mechanically inclined neighbors agree it sounds, again, like the alternator.
    To top this off, when I installed the new belt, it then started squealing but that was clearly a belt sound. And I did add a little belt dressing which seems to be working so far.
    Shoes are dropping all over the place!

Well the whirring is gone. Maybe "Remanufactured in China" alternators need some break in time, for bearings?
    Fan belt squeak is gone. The bar soap worked better since the belt dressing didn't. Also I had put it on the bottom rather than the side! Oops!

Whatever it takes Mark! I have never heard of breaking in the alternator bearings but if it works!