Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My horn is still great... but my carburetor isn't!

It probably wasn't so much of breaking in the alternator, but more the belt breaking in and relaxing. After a few start/stop cycles, the belt seated in with the soap aid. Now the alternator/water pump/ belt all should be happy and quiet. I tend to over tighten belts, and measure the belt deflection to where it is on the highest end of the specs to ensure that the belt doesn't pop off.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Whatever it takes Mark! I have never heard of breaking in the alternator bearings but if it works!
    I never have either. I wish I'd recorded that sound thought. But I did have two neighbors verify that I wasn't hearing things!

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    It probably wasn't so much of breaking in the alternator, but more the belt breaking in and relaxing. After a few start/stop cycles, the belt seated in with the soap aid. Now the alternator/water pump/ belt all should be happy and quiet. I tend to over tighten belts, and measure the belt deflection to where it is on the highest end of the specs to ensure that the belt doesn't pop off.
    My F134 is definitely the quietest it's ever been, well other than when it didn't run for 25 years.
    Now I hear all the other clicks, whirrs, and squeaks coming from the other parts, but that's "normal."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    but that's "normal."
    As it slowly drives you mad! Haha one of the things that pops up in conversation from time to time. The difference between a "Driver" and an "Owner". The driver wants it to go and doesn't hear anything that might slow them down. An owner on the other hand gets anxious about everything they hear!

In a small, single engine plane - about dusk - over water - you hear all kinds of things you never noticed before.....

Dear Jeepers, yes,, it is true that A "driver" hears the "owner" who is riding along occasionally. You know. Gasps. Yelling. That sort of noises. It's the delightful part of the drive, really. Only thing better? The bloodless knuckles gripping the armrest. With love, a driver