Thread: Axle condition

Axle condition

At what point is it advisable to replace an axle on general principle? I suspect this one may cause problems at the differential seal and shows some wear on the splines at the differential end. I haven’t tried to disassemble the knuckle yet. It feels pretty smooth. The other axle looks almost new but the knuckle sounds like it has sand in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 05-15-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

It would be best to tear them down and inspect them for wear. If you see any wear (well polished is OK) replace them. There is some excellent instruction on tear down and inspection in the Universal Manual. If you go the route of replacement I would suggest going with Sealed Spicer U-Joints and shaft style. If you can find genuine Spicer shafts by all means get them, used or new. Put the high end sealed genuine Spicer U-Joints in there. They are a lot stronger than grease-able and they will last a long, long time.The stuff from elsewhere is pretty bad.

I saw your post on the Spicer u-joints somewhere else (maybe in a thread about what to use for knuckle grease) and if I need an axle that is the way I will go.

I need to be more specific about what I am looking at when I ask these questions. What prompted my question on the axle is the corrosion where the oil seal rides. That area will be pitted after it is cleaned up and I am concerned about keeping the differential oil in the differential.

What I can see of the knuckles looks good but I had planned on disassembling them for a full inspection. I am just not that far yet. It was sunny and warm yesterday so I spent some quality time with the pressure washer and the transmission and transfer case housings instead of working inside.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 05-16-2021 at 06:49 AM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Ahhh I see, the spot. If the Race and Ball assembly are in good shape, you can salvage that by using a wear sleeve. You will need to "create" a suitable installation tool.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ht=wear+sleeve

Starting with a clean pressure washed vehicle is very positive to say the least! Time well spent on a sunny day. Making hay while the sun is shinning so to speak.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-16-2021 at 08:13 AM.

I concur with Bmorgil on the wear sleeve. No sense in trashing an otherwise good axle for sealing surface pitting.

Sunny days are meant to be outside. Even my projects are on casters so they can be rolled outside when it's nice out. Now I just need to make time.

Thanks guys. I had seen posts about sleeving the yokes but I hadn’t thought to use one on an axle.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A