Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temp Gage Temperature at Middle Mark

Kitchen Counter Testing

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    Before the infrared thermometers became so common I boiled senders to see if temp gauges were reading correctly. Thermostats can be checked in similar fashion. Just need a candy thermometer or the like to know the temperature of the liquid.
    Yep. Been there. Done that. Got fussed at for messing up the stove and wife's pots and pans with truck parts and pieces.

Dang, got an Out of Stock from Summit. They seemed to have the best price I saw anywhere too. May have to wait on one to come in.

Well, it looks like the middle mark on my temp gage is 180 degrees. The cheapo Ames point and shoot worked great too. It was interesting shooting the thermostat housing and being able to watch it warm up to 160 degrees and then feel the radiator hose warm up as the thermostat began opening. Got up to 180 and just kinda stayed around that temp while at an idle.
    Last edited by nance206; 05-16-2021 at 10:50 PM. Reason: wrong word

Perfect now you know! Those things work amazingly well. I thought they were a gimmick or a guess at best. Then I rested a few against boiling water. The one I have is very accurate.

We have several Snap On temp guns at work for checking brake temps. They are calibrated once a year and are certified, but you can take all the guns and measure the same spot, and they all read different on the tenths scale. The cheap guns that we are issued to check forehead temps for Covid are much more accurate/consistent overall.

Wow tenths scale! Now that's a nice temp gun. I am happy if it reads within plus or minus a couple of degrees.