Thread: Leaking oil from fuel pump and fuel getting into my oil

Leaking oil from fuel pump and fuel getting into my oil

Hi all,

This is my first post and I have a 1957 M38a1. I am trying to figure out how i am getting fuel into my oil, and why there is oil leaking from my fuel pump. My fuel pump is the original dual action and is missing the priming lever. My carb is also original but was rebuilt recently. I think a sticking float could cause gas to get into the oil, but the leaking fuel pump keeps making me wonder.

I also am having a leak on the block out of a circular port near the fuel pump (and plumbed to the fuel pump). Im not sure what this part is either.

Also, What oil pressure is standard? Mine gets really low (only 5-10psi at idle when warm...)

Thanks in advance! Any help is appreciated.

Emmett
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Emmett,

First things first, your fuel pump is in need of a rebuilding / replacement. The fuel pump is leaking internally, allowing fuel to leak into the crank case. Just be careful when removing the fuel pump because there is an offset plate / spacer with a stud from the block and a nut. Conventual Willys engines do not have the spacer and two bolts mounting the pump.

The oil pressure is correct for a warm engine at idle. The oiling system isn't the most efficient lubrication provider around.

The last photo is of the crank case breather. The breather is an early positive crank case breather, (PCV) set up that recirculates crankcase pressure back through the carburetor base. Early engines vented straight out to the environment through a tube that points downward and vents to the airflow that passes under a vehicle. The Willys set up was piped through the induction system to prevent water intrusion to the engine when fording through high water.

You came to the right place Emmett!!!
    I think gm hit the nail on the head, if anybody knows he does.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

okay thats what i needed to hear. Thank you very much for the help! ill ship it to kaiserwillys for a rebuild.

Thanks Tjones, will do!