Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: L134 Coolant in Oil/Exhaust

There is usually a small metal tag on the pump originally. Of course they tend to disappear. I think you will find there are a lot of pumps out there that will fit. That makes it tough as anything could be on there. The L134 was used in industrial and other places. I think if you look through the pumps KW has listed on line you might be able to identify what you have. In any event if the measured pressure is too high a spacer should do the trick. It appears you have a regulator, that will work just fine. Make sure you check it with a gauge to be sure it is correctly set. Changes in fuel pressure produce changes in the float level which can change the running characteristics of the engine. You do want it to be fairly close to prevent flooding or lean. I have heard the Legendary Solex likes 1.5 to 2 psi of pressure.

Got the oil pan drained out, more coolant than oil. Also drained the radiator, only coolant. Turned over the engine 1-2 times to push any coolant that was sitting on top of the cylinders and then sprayed WD-40 in the cylinder. I have to head out of town for a week short notice, so wanted to try and prevent any additional damage while it sits.

Now some other things I've noticed/wondered what they may have been...

First is this small metal piece, looks like a larger needle bearing or such. Flat on one end, rounded on the other. Found it in the spark plug well sitting there. Photo is sitting on radiator indent for size reference.
    186511828_763080004577938_7531795103013847888_n.jpg

Second is random holes in the hood, 2 have been plugged. Hood also used to have rear hooks at some point in time.
    186587755_482758959498323_5536528049046929432_n.jpg

Last is some random bolts through the firewall, guessing they may have something to do with the holes in the hood or possibly for a heater?
    186523951_829238831308400_4372682738711457392_n.jpg
    Last edited by teamxdr; 05-28-2021 at 11:09 AM.

wmdsc01805.jpg

Found this photo of someone elses firewall that has similar hole layout.

Finally was able to get the head pulled, no broken studs or parts (all came off relatively easy). Cylinder 2 & 3 appear to have signs of coolant leakage, on the head gasket, there is visible possible path to cylinder 2. Cylinder 3 was the original culprit with verified leakage.

Now onto the block, cylinder 1 has major scaling, if thats what you'd call that. The other 3 cylinder have some towards the top. I'm assuming this will require a full rebuild, but surprised by my compression results and that the engine was not seized.

Thoughts?

That looks closer to rust and pitting than just "scale".

It's a trip to the machine shop in my opinion ...

Larry has the key bit of analysis. If that is pitted up then it is going to have to go to the next oversize bore. However if it is not pitted, it is possible it could be cleaned up with a ball hone. I am surprised at the compression you had in that hole especially with a cold engine. I would say it is probable there was enough water and antifreeze to seal it up for the compression test. I am thinking it looks pretty bad. Why not go all the way. You can rest assured then that the motor is fresh when you go out to play! The machine shop will be able to tell you if they can clean up those bores or not. You know its a good core. It was barely running for you. So you know the majior components should all rebuild nicely without surprises. On most cores, you never know what you will find.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-12-2021 at 07:08 PM.